do you use stable blankets? why or why not?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Rachel1786, Nov 14, 2018.

?

do you use stable blankets

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I dont blanket

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. no because mine are on 24/7 turn out

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I've only ever used turn out blankets, even if they are stalled, is there an advantage to using stable blankets tho? Up until about a year ago mine were on 24/7 turnout so obviously there was no need to own any stable blankets, however now that they are being stalled at night and when the weather is bad, I'm wondering if I should invest in some.

2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I think the advantage is they are typically cheaper so if your horse is not turned out, then you don't need to spend the extra money.

I use a stable blanket under a turn out so I can provide more warmth without purchasing another blanket.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I have a few yes. Most are liners for fancy blankets but I have a few seperarw stable blankets too, but I only use them to layer for extra warmth. All my horses go outside each day and we don’t change blankets when they come in.

So unless you’re in a warm barn & need to take something off when they come in from then out, or you need to layer for extra warmth - they really aren’t needed.

4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Stable blankets are for indoor use only IMO/E or used as a layer beneath an waterproof layer.

5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I have a few for layering. They are less expensive, easier to wash than the equivalent TO weight, and pretty streamlined under a TO. Each horse has a heavy Schneider's bellyband with closed front, which I've used under my TO sheets with (filled) hoods, or like tonight, Samson has his on under his high neck medium TO because he was chilly with less on in this freezing and super windy weather we currently have so early in the season (I'm not bitter...). I also have Baker blankets, which I equate to a light weight stable blanket, which I also use for layering (my horses are not rough on blankets or big rollers, so the baker's stay put fine). Being lighter weight they are nice to use under various TOs to match the weather. I like the ability to layer with our climate, and like how I don't have a million straps all over the place with my layering setup, but stable blankets are definitely not a necessity.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes, I blanket. We get very cold and wet here. And if a horse is in work he also gets clipped. Usually a body clip - everything but the head and legs. Clipping is very helpful because I have asthma and there is far less dust and dandruff on a clipped horse.

Typically, they start out wearing stable blankets as soon as the temperature inside the stable starts going below 50 degrees. That might be a baker blanket to start with, or a baker sheet. Then eventually they also will need waterproof turnouts. For a while, in the fall, I only put on the waterproof turnouts if it's going to rain or they are rolling in mud. Eventually they need the waterproof turnout whenever they go out, and eventually it gets cold enough in the stable that I leave the turnout on in the stable too.

How much blanketing they get depends a lot on their individual health. The horses with Cushing Syndrome get one more layer, as they seem to get cold much easier. The clipped horses get one additional layer.

The usual thing is for extremely cold weather for a clipped horse, from 20 or 15, down to about zero, an insulated waterproof coated hood, a sheet, a baker blanket, a winter stable blanket, and a waterproof turnout. Below zero, I can add bandages for the legs, which keeps in additional warmth. Pony has a single winter blanket with a hood that is incredibly poofy and warm. So often all he gets is a sheet under that blanket, until it gets down to 15 or so.

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Agree that they are useful for layering. I don't use them where I am because it is never cold enough to need layers. In fact, I don't use any blankets unless it is very cold, raining hard, AND windy. Even then, I generally don't. My horses have good coats, I don't clip, and they have shelters. My insulated rain-proof blankets get used about once or twice every few years.

I have no beef with anyone who blankets responsibly but it drives me to distraction when people blanket and then just leave the darn thing on, regardless of temperature, and without ever checking it or the horse. And that happens way too often imo.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  8. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

When I stall boarded show horses who were only turned out in nice weather, I used stable sheets/blankets because they were cheaper.

I currently have non-show-horses on 24/7 turnout at my house, so I only buy turnout sheets/blankets.

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Stable blankets are very nice when you have a horse that is being kept inside. They are much easier to wash, they can be washed in hot water and dried in a dryer.

10. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

Old pictures CEF31EB9-D8AF-4ADD-B401-88E147A4A948.jpeg 7FA90E64-1F8A-4931-9F8A-A24CA845E94E.jpeg 8D50D662-C0A7-41B0-926D-BA2F7D10E87F.jpeg 4C7A697E-C85C-4B3D-BAE6-A12C8EE3959B.jpeg