Do you tip hotel staff?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, Jun 24, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

My stylist gets $180 from me for a cut and color. I still tip him. He does an amazing job and I never have to fuss with my hair to get it to look like he had it - it's an easy style.

I tip him because I appreciate him so much. My hair can be a pain and he always gets it right. He's flexible about appointments and he's a joy to talk to. Plus he greets me at the chair with a glass of wine. What's not to like?

I tip anyone who gives me excellent service. I don't really care how much they might make - if they go above and beyond, they get a tip (if they can accept one). Waitstaff get tipped for a decent job because I know they depend on tips. My dry cleaner got a big tip for salvaging a tan suit I spilled tea all over.

2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I've never tipped at a hotel. I know my family did have an excellent maid one time, and my dad went down to the front desk and made sure to tell the manager that she did an excellent job, and made sure she got some tip money.

Usually, I just tip my hairdresser and farrier (he only charges $15 a trim, which I think is too low, especially since I usually only need him for my "hard" cases that I don't want to deal with).

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Depends on the hotel.

4. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Agree with this!! I don’t consider their wage as much as their effort.

stephanie likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Went to Panera for lunch. Panera. Fast good. No waitstaff. No busboys. Nothing. Panera. Their card reader asked me if I wanted to tip. o_O:cautious:

Mmmmm. No.

NaeNae likes this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Moe's southwest grill is like that too. Nope.

Arem likes this.
  7. SiouxRider21

SiouxRider21 Senior Member

I tip housekeeping staff, $ amount depends on how long I'm there. If it's just a day, a dollar or two. If it's a week, a few bucks every time they come in to clean.
    I work at the front desk of a hotel, and I've gotten a few small tips before; our breakfast attendant gets a lot of tips as well, but she treats you as if you're in a full service restaurant, clearing dishes, refills, etc.