Do you tip hotel staff?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, Jun 24, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Tipping housekeeping staff is not something new. It's old, established practice and I always do it. I've worked hotel housekeeping. It's a hard job and can often run to upwards of ten hours if people don't check out on time or the place is full or short staffed. Pay is minimal and often by the room.

I love coming back to my room to find it tidy and clean, fresh towels waiting for me and my bed made. I drink decaf coffee so I usually leave a note for housekeeping to leave extra decaf, and I appreciate that too.

I leave a daily tip so that it's not just the last staff person of my stay to get a tip. I usually leave 4 or 5 dollars a day, depending on the quality of the place and the service.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I tip hair dressers when they work for the salon and don´t own it.
    They are paid laughably here in Germany.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Granted I don't often stay in hotels but this never occurred to me as something to do. I've never left a tip for maids before but I definitely will next time I stay somewhere. It seems obvious now...

4. Nursestephanie2

Nursestephanie2 Senior Member

I usually don't tip for the maids unless the room was destroyed.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I always tip my stylist myself.

ginster likes this.
  6. stephanie

stephanie Senior Member

I always leave a tip for the maids at the end of my stay. I also tip my hair dresser. People like my farrier, vet, mailman, I give Christmas cards/presents, baked goods and/or some cash.

ginster, Alsosusieq2 and endurgirl like this.
  7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I tip waitresses if they've done a good job, my farrier and my hairdresser. That's it.

8. Shmee

Shmee Senior Member

This is what my mom taught me to do about 20 years ago. I had been wondering if I should account for inflation, so this thread is giving me useful perspective.

Like others have mentioned, I put the tip ouot each day so the person cleaning that day will hopefully get it. I have also started leaving a note, to make sure they know it is a tip they can take instead of me just leaving money lying around.

ginster and RG NIGHT HEIR like this.
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I do not think it is common place now for hotel cleaning staff to be paid by the room. It was many years ago. My niece worked in several hotels in the last 5 or 6 years and was always paid minimum wage. She obviously liked getting tips but they were very irregular unless she was delivering room service to a room. She split those tips with the kitchen.

I don't have a hairdresser, I cut my own mop. I guess you could say I tip my farrier since I am married to him. I have never tipped a postman, I know they are well paid and get very good benefits besides.

I pretty much stick to tipping waitstaff.

10. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

:LOL:

stephanie and equinitis like this.