Do you tip hotel staff?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Wow, I didn't know that.

With checkouts at 11 and many late, I can see this easily.

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

How about bag boys or the men who load your horse feed? Tip?

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Nope.

I sell ag chemical. I frequently load boxes of chemical; each box is 2 2.5 gallon jugs. They're heavy. I don't get tipped....

4. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I tip wait staff and tattoo artists. My farrier gets brought a coffee every time I am there for a trim. And he appreciates it since we are the first barn of the day and got about 15 horses who get trimmed.

People are getting ridiculous when they expect tips, it seems like more and more places are expecting it.

Larkspade and Arem like this.
  5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

We do when we go on vacation. If we're staying only for a night, we don't. Not there long enough, but we also don't leave a mess behind. The maids do a better job if you tip and often will stop by if they see you're back in your room to see if you need anything else.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Yes, always.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

I drive for UPS and we don’t ever expect tips. Occasionally I’m offered one and I refuse. I’m paid, excellently, for what I do and I would feel bad also accepting a tip on top of that.

HOWEVER.... baked goodies, cool drinks are free game. Lol. There’s nothing better than Christmas time and giving your driver a plate or baggie of cookies. Trust me! Or a cool water/pop/lemonade on a 95 million degree day when I’ve just dropped two Nordic track systems off at your front porch.

Tips though... no way. We make $36 an hour regular time. We are well paid to do the job we do.

8. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

My hubby does 5 $ a day and leaves the tip on the dresser.
    I don't tip at the hotel,gotta stop somewhere.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. secuono

secuono Senior Member

No, but I tidy up the room before we leave.

I tip my sheep shearer.

Arem likes this.
  10. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I feel like I should elaborate.

I’ve worked at three hotels. One budget, one family with small water park attached, and one full blown resort.

By leaving a tip for your housekeeper, there’s a good chance you tipped someone who did NOT clean your room during your stay. Not only do people have days off, but often times there is an earlier shift and a later. Your room might have been “turned over” by the later shift during your stay but cleaned at the end of your stay by the earlier or vice versa. If there are a lot of late check outs, the earlier shift is doing more turnovers and if people are leaving early it’s the later shift. Do not think for one second that the person that finds the tip is going to check the logs and distribute it evenly among the people who touched your room during your stay.

Additionally, housekeepers often work in pairs where one will lightly vacuum and clean and one will do beds and stock. Who are you tipping?

Lastly, you will not get better housekeeping with a tip. Any hotel worth staying at will have the head housekeeper and managers spot checking rooms at random. All rooms, regardless of what you left (mess or tip), are expected to be treated the same.

And I’ve never seen housekeepers be paid by the room. They are paid an hourly wage. I will say bonuses were often given to the ones who received a lot of guest compliments and the ones who could do ten rooms (well) in the time others did five. A note to the manager is as good as tip if someone made your stay better.

equinitis, uncanny580 and Arem like this.