Do you see oyster or pearl?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by CJ, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

yep. I personally don't see a previous 5 time champion but..haven't seen her move.

2. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

This horse looks fat to you? o_O
    Sure she's got a belly, looks like a hay belly to me not a belly on a fat horse, her spine is protruding, neck is like a toothpick and look at how her shoulder is jutted out.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Her spine is not protruding, she is dirty and the lighter colored dirt has you fooled. Look at the Round butt on her. She also has a VERY bad dropped. fetlock, left hind.

4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Manes I luv u but youre reading stuff into this that Just Isnt There.
    Clearly #1 was Not a "fat horse". DID look like potentially a nice horse with weight on, and that Is how it panned out.
    #2 is out of shape fat, not much to look at, and was lucky enough to get some attention as a "Fuzzy Chubby sweet horse" who turned out to come with papers/ proof that it was in the past a highly successful national champion. As such it was reportedly bought by a Paso pro, a judge, and will be retired in a good & competent caring home.
    Its the Takers who called the horse "saved", not us/ BO.
    Im Not encouraging that the incompetent take $100 bucks to an auction and "Save a horsie" by buying one.
    These were more cases of "Looks arent everything". What is "seen" may not be all that is being gotten. Maybe 90% of the time it is..
    I think its fair to call them "saves", if not from slaughter then from neglected or less than savory conditions. Its really just shorthand for "we bought this horse/ at a sale and are going to improve its living/condition and future prospects." Safe/save is Much shorter.

5. manesntails

I was talking about the second one. It's not thin and your barn owner doesn't ''bail out'' horses, she buys them.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I am going to disagree with this. Yes, inexperience and lack of knowledge can of course lead to a bad situation--but more experience doesn't always mean the RIGHT experience. There have been plenty of abuse/neglect cases brought forward from people who have owned horses their entire life, but since gramps fed the horse two flacks of hay and cow grain by golly they will too. Hoof trimming is just a scam for money, horses self trim their feet, after all. Vaccines are just all way for big pharma to wrangle all bit of money out of us hard working folk, etc, etc.
    An inexperienced person can learn from scratch, someone set in the wrong ways is a lot more dangerous IMHO.
    Also, I find it amusing the contradictions people spout here.
    That horse is fat and healthy, she wasn't going to slaughter!
    That horse is thin and sickly, she wasn't going to slaughter!
    Kill buyers don't buy pregnant mares because they can't ship to slaughter!
    Those aren't nurse mare foals, they are probably from a kill buyer who bought the mare pregnant, foaled her out then sent her to slaughter!

Jeez Louise, make up your collective minds.

CJ, I think both horses look sweet, and I hope they land softly, in homes that appreciate them for whatever they turn out to be.

Sam C. and CJ like this.
  7. manesntails

You are a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I think Donas a great example of someone who got in the situation of buying, and made the Commitment to learn as much and do the best they could by and for their new animal.. who just to make life Really Interesting happened/ turned out to be pregnant. Thats a steep learning curve for a new owner. She came a place like her to ask questions. She took some well intentioned bludgeoning over "It Is Not a Cow." Six months later, DW, mare, and baby two-fer are all active, healthy and doing well.
    Ideal buying scenario? No not really. But end result so far.. imo probably the best any & all parties could wish for. Including the horses.

Charliemyheart, Sam C. and Dona Worry like this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Manes, I got a sick, severely unweight, terrified horse, and now I have two happy, healthy, social goofballs.

I really, really don't see how I ruined these two. I just don't. 20170115_115021.jpg CJ, do we ever get more pictures of the mare in the OP? I am dying for a proper side view!

Sam C. likes this.
  10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Is it mean.. would you forgive me.. if I ask what praytell you have done with babys head-part? ;) :whistle:

Soon.. working on that. BO sent a couple pretty good bodyshots... Fair warning the feet are missing in most.

Dona Worry likes this.