1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Do you see oyster or pearl?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by CJ, Nov 16, 2016.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

And yes, I have done exactly that, and I have a horse I rescued and it can't be worked, it's ruined by all the horrific neglect it suffered. And I would do it again exactly the same way, today, knowing that. I go in hopeful and positive, but ready to accept that it may not all work out perfectly.

All I am saying is realize, that it may come out less than ideal. So do it, but do it with commonsense, with the resources - including money(seen too many people rescue horses that don't have any more for vet care they need) - at hand for what may be a very sick horse needing a lot of expensive care. KNOW what you might be getting into, and go in prepared.

Does this apply to CJ? I don't believe so, they are general comments.

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Imo thats a dealer cleaning up and inflating the value/ potential/ability of bargain-basement dinks.
    If BO can recoup her costs of bail and vet/qt, shes happy. Nobody goes out with a "promised improvement." We have an idea sometimes of potential value, but a good home takes precedence over a big/profit. Reputation & possibly repeat business is staked on people being happy with what they pick out or are connected with. Over 100 horses handled, no disatisfied customers.

slc likes this.
  3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

BO sent me a shoulder angle shot so its not great, but OP mare has improved 100%/ 180* , bright eyes, curves and nice coat. I will do my best to get it off phone & shared asap.
    BO so happy with how the arab mare went, she picked another one to go to bat for... isnt taking it but Shared the heck out of listing and helped find someone who would. By her own admission, doesnt look like much does it? Gaited, and shes a closet fan...
    [​IMG]

4. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

That one appears to have dsld... :/

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Reportedly she was competitve show horse, so/ its possible its just how shes built and not degenerative. I had one worse, and he wasnt degenerative.. just built by committee.

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

#62 was or had a dirty lil secret :eek: ;)
    [​IMG]
    Repeat National Level Champion Paso Fino mare
    Rescued (#62) National Grand Champion
    "La Evidencia de United" has been picked up from Cranbury Sales Stables and taken to her farm for a little cleaning up, feeding up and loving up, in preparation for her trip to Florida and her happy ever after. Thank you again for saving Evidencia. on her way HOME

manesntails and CoffeeBean like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, she's dirty cuz she rolled. She's fat so, she's just a horse that went to a sale, not a rescue, not 'saved', just bought. That's what a horse aution IS, it's a 'HORSE SALE'. Doesn't mean any horse is going directly to a slaughter house unless someone "saves'' it, not at all.

Varisha and bnttyra like this.
  8. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Could not agree more and it is a pet peeve of mine to hear people keep saying they "saved" a horse at an auction. Heck, even the infamous Ole Olson brings nice riding horses to our local horse auction. so even KB will recognize good horses and realize they can get more from them as riding horses/pets than they do at for slaughter.

Varisha and manesntails like this.
  9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Play on words :cautious:. Point i was trying to make was a dirty lil unimpressive looking 'cow' going for a couple hundred bucks at auction.. "get what you pay for" right?.. Was in fact a (Im told) "5 time National champion Paso" judging by and if you believe the registration papers that were/ went with her. Even BO admits calling or considering her a "Plug" to look at, but worthy of trying to 'save' (however you want to define it.) The collective efforts mean the horse will be retiring to Florida to live with someone who appreciates its background/ accomplishments. It is at least out of the Sale pipeline of auctions. It is for a while, maybe forever, Safe. That is what rescuing is about. Added bonus to shell out for an oyster and find out its a pearl in disguise.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You don't get it CJ. Horses have gone to horse auctions for hundreds of years. They were never thought of as 'saved" until the bleeding hearts who want to stop slaughter, and ruined the market on horses, which then put horse in the hands of very inexperienced person because : "Hey, we can actually AFFORD to buy a horse now, cuz they're worth nothing~!!" started SAYING they were going to, in order to garner pats on the back , "bail them out, save them, rescue them" and all this garbage.

No, horsemen recognize quality horses and they buy them. YOU AREN'T RESCUEING something unless it's on DEATH'S DOOR, and without YOU and YOU alone, it would have certainly died. Period, end of story. There is no issue that all horses going to action will 'CERTAINLY DIE WITHOUT YOU.'

So, stop this encouraging the uninformed new horse owner to believe they're saints for going to a horse auction and paying 200 bucks or less for a fat horse that is no way going to slaughter. It's just encouraging more abuse to the horse you say you are concerned with. The uneducated horse buyer does WAY MORE harm than good by buying a horse when they haven't the vaguest idea what to do with it. The good ones get BOUGHT, the bad ones that nobody should be messing with, go to slaughter, that's how we handle livestock. 1000lb animal that's not beginner safe has no business with a newbie. They are better going to auction and slaughter than starving in a field.

Pet peeve because we bought skinners every month at auction and NEVER, NOT ONCE, told anyone we "saved'' the horse. No reason to say that; we were not LOOKING for pats on the back, we were looking for GOOD horses.