Do you see oyster or pearl?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by CJ, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

It sounds like she was bought because they felt sorry for her, and the home offers are as companion horse, ie pasture puff.
    I would really like to see her in another month or two, after she has been fed and feet done, and had a stress free environment for a while.

firegurl979 likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

I'd love that if it all started with a visit from the vet, farrier and dentist, a realistic evaluation of the amount of pain the animal is in, and so on. This is an old horse, "much older than her years" as one old timer would say.

My friend bought an off the track thoroughbred, beautiful little thing. Years of neglect. And all it looked like was really wrong, was a bad cut on her heel. She spent months diligently doctoring that wound under a vet's careful direction. The mare had to be put down.

You just never know. You were lucky, and that's awesome. Taking on a rescue animal is a gamble. Most horse people have the kind of character that they do it when they can, knowing full well that they may wind up with a wonderful horse, or a good companion, or a sad goodbye. And even in that last case, the biggest thing I hear horse folk say is, 'If I only got her sooner'. No regrets. And they go on to the next one.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

Her back doesn't bother me, I've dealt with quite a few Polish Arabs built like that, high withers and lack of weight/(correct) muscling make a huge difference... A couple examples-

Romeo (9 years old NSH), when I got him he was clearly lacking weight and muscle.
    11079775_10204883195573603_1007328318_n.jpg

After. Yes he'll always have a curvy back thanks to the saddlebred length and his super high withers but it sure looked a world difference with proper care!
    11084413_10204883196053615_1228235005_n.jpg

Joey was a 5 year old Pure Polish gelding. He has high withers which make him seem sway backed, but he's not. He's curvy.
    Not muscled up (pics when I had originally bought him show it better but couldnt find any)
    429148_4577211022253_1645524909_n.jpg

Muscled up
    58193_4527583741602_672232078_n.jpg

600734_10200469988366181_77896714_n.jpg
    he's still curvy, but not from being sway backed. Finding a proper saddle means using a curvier one from front to back, thats all. He's currently competing successfully in dressage, jumping, and endurance.

To the OP- congrats on the new girl! Can't wait to see updated pics of her progress :)

VermilionStrife, DelP and CJ like this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

She said that BO had a vet out, and that the mare was not found to be in any pain.
    I get what you are saying SCL, but you posts seem to be unnecessarily negative.
    Sure, she may yet turn up as having a serious health issue that requires her to be put to sleep, but as long as she is getting vet care and plenty of good food and being cared for--I say stay positive and let the chips fall where they may.
    Sure, it may be a sad ending. But it may have a happy ending for the horse too, with a little girl to love her and another horse to keep company somewhere.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Not negative, just practical and truthful. You forget that I've got a 'rescue' in my barn too.

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I've gotta say also - not trying to say complete negatives but sure be aware of the future. I just wont take on an animal in that kind of problem, not at this stage in my life. There are rescues that don't look like a blank check for the possible future. I can't afford it.

7. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

I seen a rescued arab gelding pulled from an auction... he looked worse. Yes he stayed "ugly" as most would say, but he lived a happy and comfortable life as a pasture puff, was pulled at age 27 I think....lived to be 36.

I don't recall the OP claiming she wanted to flip this mare for profit...so I don't think its fair to assume she had plans to do so.

If they are willing to take her on as a rescue and provide her with the care she needs I don't see a problem with it. So what if she's old and not the prettiest thing... if someone wants to rehab this mare and give her a good retiree life...I think that's great! I wish more people would consider just letting an older horse live out its days as a horse, happy and comfy in a field with some loving. Sometimes its not about profits and if the horse is "useful" or not. If someone is willing to give a horse like her a good home that is great. If I had barn, I would consider a couple pasture puffs.

Its not for everyone, I know not everyone can afford to do so... or wants the hassle of the maintenance and care , but if someone can and is willing, let them.

It may just be how I'm interpreting things...so I could be wrong, it just seemed this post got a huge negative reaction that wasn't really necessary.

8. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

First, GOOD FOR YOU for taking on a rescue mare.

You and your BO have given her a home, food, water, vet care, and love. I've seen no indication that you guys have given her anything but good things. So KUDDOS.

I think it will take months, or even a year, to see her in good condition. If she is healthy and sound over that time period, then that is wonderful. If not, I trust that you will make the right decision for her whether that be pasture puff or euthanasia. It isn't fair to say whether or not she will ever be painless, or if she will turn out to be a-okay.

Kuddos.

GONE ROPING, Alsosusieq2, CJ and 2 others like this.
  9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Weve had some experience rehabbing starve cases, successfully. vNellie arrived in quarantine @300 lbs underweight, & 9 months pregnant. Even without baby on board she went from less than 1000 lbs to 1300+ 5-6 months later. Pic #1 is actually pretty flattering considering her purchase condition. You could see her ribs, and where they turned toward her raised spine.
    Last year a thin TB mare came in, needed easily 100+ lbs. Lil bit of a hard keeper too, but gained it.
    Couple years ago we took in a mini mare with A-frame hips, part of a starvation SPCA seizure. She turned into a lil silver dappley "Steiff bear", but may have been pregnant, had an episode, and incompetent vet (de-certed later) convinced us to pts :cry:
    One of my horses developed a problem with catalytic metabolism. He probably did have organ damage, which seemed to lead to a heart attack, despite putting some weight back on, over a year and winter.
    My horse & his buddy were shortchanged in a boarding bard once, and came out 100+- lb too light. Mine arrived looking like a TB on steroids from being out on grass pasture, no grain, unknown to me, over the summer.
    I have a slightly better pic of bay mare, but you cant see her back, and peoples kids are in it (not on) so Im hesitant to post it openly. Can click foward from chestnut thru pasos to bay.
    These are the horses we saved in the... - Darlene Macrina Supnick | Facebook

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SparkleDust likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

I didn't assume she was. I made a general comment that it's not good.

And I was bristling over my latest encounter with a rescue that day(some rescue orgs will say anything to get someone to take a horse, including that the adopter can sell horse for 10 times more in six months...)...but that's another thing.