1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Do you see oyster or pearl?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by CJ, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

And looks to be older.

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Late teens was disclosed in the remarks.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Calypso looked ancient when I first got her, and I was sure she was much older than 14, but with good food, lots of attention, and a nice hilly pasture to run around in, she has dropped years from her appearance.
    I will want an updated picture of this mare in a few months. I bet she will look a lot different.

CJ and firegurl979 like this.
  4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

BO changed our 11am get together to a 9am driveout, and I was blocked in at home, so unfortunately I have not seen her yet. QT barn is not as close as I thought and 50 miles roundtrip in the truck (megamiles on it) is not something I wanted to do on a whim. BO did send me another pic, but the feet were cut off from knee down. She looked a lil more like prominent-withers than deep swayback. Im not denying shes swayback, I just dont think she was real camel-chair spine. Small child was handling her, so she Is sweet. BO likes her, enough to keep if hopeful home doesnt pan out.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

You have got to be kidding.

She has prominent withers AND she has a VERY SEVERE sway back. She may NEVER be able to be ridden, no matter how much she's fattened up. Be ridden by anyone, no matter how light, or do any sort of work, ever again. That is, in fact, quite possible.

She is not going to transform into a sale project for you or make you any money unless you market her dishonestly.

She jogs around in the auction? She's an Arab. She's going to do that. Doesn't mean she's sound or healthy, or a 'project'. It does mean she deserves peace, quiet and comfort.

Dona is right that some pounds will make her look better, but she's wrong about that turning her into 'a different horse'.

YES her horse looks better, but gaining weight does not cure a myriad of ills, chronic injuries or make conformation better. To the novice eye, yes, weight can hide a lot of problems. But it doesn't transform a damaged animal into a not-damaged animal.

She's not likely to make you money or 'pay for herself' by having foals, or anything else. There's absolutely no guarantee she will be able to do anything, even tote around children on a weekend.

She's old, she's been neglected for years. I'd wager her mouth is full of sores and busted teeth, too. Her feet don't look at all good. The right front looks distinctly odd and the right hind is broken down.

That right hind may not even hold up for her to stand around in a paddock eating for a month. Some of them continue to break down even if everything possible is done. It may not last a week, or it may last a lot longer, but again, there's no guarantee of anything, and eventually, most likely, that right hind fetlock is going to be on the floor. Even before it gets to that point, it's going to pain her, and put an awful lot of stress on the left hind leg, and the two front legs.

She MAY need to be euthanized immediately(the same might be recommended for her previous owners). If not, she desperately deserves a soft landing in a place where she can be cared for, her feet gotten in good a condition as possible, herself made as comfortable as possible, and she can live her life out in peace, which may include being euthanized if it becomes apparent at some point, that all the neglect she's received isn't going to even permit her a happy old age.

This is the kind of horse that a REAL horseperson buys because she DESERVES care, and she DESERVES peace and quiet, and she DESERVES to be living out her years, or months or weeks, in as much peace and comfort as is humanly possible to provide.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  6. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I hope she's being taken care of.. I'd love to see pictures

CJ likes this.
  7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Ive asked BO to send me a pic she has of bay mare "Sugar" at the hay pile where she is quarantined. Mare got a home request almost immediately, as a 'weed whacker'. Our hope was to get her a place to land softly, not to flip for use or profit. And if the home falls through, BO says she'll take the mare, gladly. BO also says mare is not so much of a conformation trainwreck in person or action; but clearly starvation has her at a conditional worst. The right hind is not broken down, but haypile pic is first Ive seen since the sale one with all 4 feet in it.
    There is NO indication, at a glance of from the vet/s that she is broken down, a euth candidate, in pain, or missing teeth (really sl- try to color inside the lines?)
    I will gladly share the pic when I have it/ them. Its not a great angle but whole horse is visible. She is also growing a decent winter coat, good news for comfort & nutrition, but will be pj'd if cooperative & necessary.

Varisha and peg4x4 like this.
  8. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

She's probably a lovely, sweet old soul, but she's the type of horse I'd pick up as a glorified lawn mower. She looks older than my mares, and they both have papers to say they're mid-twenties. She needs a soft place to land where her only job is to eat and stand nicely to be loved, and maybe occasionally led around with a very light-weight child on her back.

However, I would like to see what she looks like after a couple months of good feed and consistent care.

Friesiangirl, Dona Worry and peg4x4 like this.
  9. secuono

secuono Senior Member

What's with that funky neck? Caused by being skinny and an Arab?

10. slc

slc Senior Member

The trouble is, too, when you see a skinny horse like this it can very well be due to a lack of feeding. The trouble is that it can also be due to a terminal illness, or damage to the organs caused by starving. When you see a horse like this, all you know for sure is what it looks like. It takes a vet to determine what's really going on. One always has to be aware that it may not be just lack of groceries. It can be much more complicated. And that's what this horse needs - a vet.