Do you see any improvement?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ibsammy, Mar 4, 2019.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Half brother is CUTEEEE

2. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

He's so good too. One of my friends owns him and put a few rides on him and took him to an introductory competitive trail ride that weekend. He got scared once by the bouncing saddle bags, but was an angel! This breeder was wildly negligent, but did manage to create at least 2 horses with excellent minds.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

To be it’s not so much weight, but muscle. Correctly feeding to gain muscle is important and needed, as is her doing something.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Thats so nice to hear. I got my rear end chewed off when I posted to a FB group for working her with how she looks today.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

I don’t think I’d be saddling and riding off into the sunset with her. But I’m guessing she’s missing something in her diet that isn’t allowing the muscles to develop properly. Her neck really shows this. It looks like a ewe neck, but it is not a true conformational ewe, it is just lacking muscle. I’d likely pull blood and see if perhaps amino acids or she’s low in some other vitamin or something. Given the time frame, somethings not quite right.

I’ve dealt with a few of these cases - usually there’s a lack of something in the diet for that horse, especially if there is free choice hay at all times.

Faster Horses and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Her weight doesn't look that bad. Really light work should be fine. Interesting cross though, I have always liked the Polish Arabians myself. R&B has a good point ^.

7. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Her neck is the biggest thing that's been bothering me! When the vet comes out for teeth I'll have them draw blood. Is this something they'd know what I was looking for or are there specific tests I should request? I've never had blood drawn on a horse, just dogs.

Do you think switching from a senior to a performance would help with this? Ultium is lower protein, higher fat, slightly different mineral ratios. I KNOW she looked good on ultium last time she was on it (~1.5 years ago). But a lot has changed since then.

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

I’ve never personally had to do it. I’ve just suggested to clients that they involve a vet & possibly draw blood as things just didn’t seem “normal” when I saw them.

To build muscle I believe you need higher protein - but I’m no nutritionist! Might be time to consult one along with your vet.

9. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Well, I tried feeding the ultium and as soon as we got to more than 50% of the grain ultium, she turned her nose up at it. Apparently she doesn't like it anymore. I have been mixing MSM in, which I know tastes like garbage. I'm going to remove that and see if that's what she dislikes.

She is looking pretty good though. I actually got on her last night, (didn't do anything, just layed on her back). She is cross firing like crazy cantering one way, but can maintain pretty well the other. I found a local horse chiro/massage therapist I'm going to call. I'm guessing being off and on lame for a month has led to some wonky imbalances/soreness (though no reaction points that I've found). We've worked our way up to about 20 minutes of walking/in hand work, and then 5-10 minutes of lunge work (trot canter).

It's also shedding season! So much hair everywhere. It warmed up to 30s, so I pulled her liner blanket off. She was HOT under it. Supposed to get to 50 this week! Hopefully she gets a nakey day then. I'm sure I'll be brushing mud off but her blankets are rubbing pretty substantial bald spots and I am ready for nakey-days.

10. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Today I tried on one of my english saddles (my western is so awkward on her). I think it will be too narrow pretty soon, her backs filling out. Lunged with it on (and during VERY high winds) and she was frisky. Had stamina to canter several laps each way, didnt get overly sweaty. Today we lunged closer to 15 minutes (because she lost her brain and it took a while to get focused before), then worked 15minutes in hand. Tomorrow Ill try another saddle. Hopefully one of my 9 saddles fits her so I can figure out which ones to get rid of.