Do you leave the tea bag in or take it out when drinking tea?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sorrell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

Just wondered. I drink fruit tea in a large cup and use the tagless tea bags, so usually leave them in, but noticed on tv shows, some people leave the tea bags in and some take them out.
    Which do you do and why? I often refill my glass half way through, so keep the tea bag in it to get more out of it....

2. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

I take mine out :) I don't like my tea too strong. I do re-use the bag after though, I usually drink 2 coffee mugs of green tea in a row in the morning and I use the same bag for both. I actually think it's something I picked up from my dad too, he does that as well LOL

3. Kicks

Kicks Senior Member+

I take them out of the cup and then put them in the tea pot of hot water.

4. kvmt10

kvmt10 Senior Member+

I take mine out.
    I like my tea to be pretty weak with lots of milk.
    Lady Grey is my fvourite. yummmmm

5. GainingMomento

GainingMomento Senior Member

Leave it in

Really? That's interesting. Maybe I'm weird but I've never heard of anyone putting milk in their tea. :)

Back to the OP, I leave my tea bag in. No specific reason really...just what I've always done. Good post by the way.

6. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

When I was younger and drank tea, I could not stand it when the tea bag stayed in, but since I drink the fruit tea, the bags sort of settle in the bottom of the cup. i always wondered if it was weird or bad etiquette to drink tea with the bag still in, that's one reason I am asking.

7. MIEventer

MIEventer Senior Member+

I USE A TEA POT!!

lol

I put a couple of tea bags into my tea pot, fill my tea pot up with hot water and let it stew for a bit.

Then I fill my cup up with the already stewed tea.

Then I use either Coffee Mate French Vanilla flavoring, or cream and sugar.

I am from British Columbia, Canada, and you can go to Walmart or Zellers or any other department store and buy a tea pot. Whenever my family had tea, they would use their tea pot - I've never seen anyone put a tea bag into a mug....never.

Then I move here to Michigan - and that's all I see. People using mugs with tea bags in them. I ask about tea pots...and I get "what's a tea pot?"

Here in Michigan - I cannot find a tea pot anywhere. I had to have my Mom and Dad send me one from British Columbia.

8. Amber.Molly

Amber.Molly Senior Member+

I'm picky about the strength of my tea, so I always take it out ! But I do re-use the teabag if I refill my mug :) Mmmmm.... tea... .

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator

I don't use tea bags at home...strictly loose leaf and it's timed based on the type of tea and made by the pot. (We buy tea from Adagio and they provide recommended steeping times) The best tea only stays in the container for the right amount of steeping time. Otherwise, the taste can be compromised. In fact, leaving it in too long can make for a very bitter brew. Temperature is also important. While most teas like boiling water poured over them, there are a few that are better with 180-190 degree F water. (Adagio notes that on the package, too)

So...with that all said, I'm a "bag out" person. Once it's tea, the bag comes out. :)

10. kvmt10

kvmt10 Senior Member+

Its very British to drink tea with milk. And a lot of Australians(me!) drink it with milk too.

Yummmmm