Do you have a magnetic roller?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by emali06, Jul 13, 2013.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member+

If you don't, I suggest you get one. They are amazing little tools to pick up even the most hidden bits. We have one but today was the first time I rolled Waylon's paddock. I found a few old fence nails and bits of wire that I would have never seen.

They are definitely worth the price if they save you a vet bill :D

PSA for the day ;)

1 person likes this.

2. slbose61

slbose61 Senior Member+

We have one where I boarded. It's a mandatory use after a farrier visit.

3. meljean

meljean Senior Member+

I have two that don't roll and one that does. And our farrier has one that is about 3 feet wide...love that one.

But won't pick up some things, so still have to look sharp.

4. Ryder4

Ryder4 Full Member

ugh wish I had one! I hate digging through the trimmings to find the nails and nail ends after the farrier comes! I sweep and put it all in the trash instead of the compost pile anyways and at least we have a concrete floor! Still would be nice to have one though

5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member+

Most farriers have their own and use it after. At least the ones I've used have done that.

It definitely doesn't pick up anything not magnetic but it picks up A LOT of nasty bits that could kill a horse

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member+

I dont have a roller but I have a powerful magnet on a handle/'stick' and it has found nails in the ground that I had no idea were there. I have felt it sink to the ground after detecting a knot or corroded can of nails left out & behind by deceased former owner, multipl-y mining the area around the runin shed I wanted to/ used for my horses. It has pulled some debris out of the dirt from a depth. I got it from one of the bigbox homestores, Lowes/ Home Depot, not expensive and well worth it.

7. coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse Senior Member+

Cow magnets are less expensive, can be found in most ranch/farm supply stores and work as well. DO NOT get them near a television screen or other electronics (including your cell phone in your pocket).....ugly results.

8. meljean

meljean Senior Member+

Parts stores have them too or at least I bought one there...other 2 at lumber yard.

Great for in house too if you sew.

9. meljean

meljean Senior Member+

AND....just HOW do you know this....feeling a little frisky with your handy dandy magnet were we.....any video?

10. coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse Senior Member+

Older son thought it fun to skew up the screen on the TV with the magnet.....until he realized that he had messed it up permanently. Friend of mine put his cow magnet in his pocket with his cell phone and messed it up....I didn't have to learn that one directly. But.....any strong magnetic force will mess with electronics.