Do you follow a special diet? Do you stick to it on special occasions/parties?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Feb 13, 2019.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

Just that?

Do you follow a special diet like vegan, vegetarian, low car, Atkins, keto, low gluten, etc?

And do you stick with it when celebrating or at a party? Or do you go wild?

2. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Paleo x 3 years now.
    Yes,we cheat in moderation at parties or out to dinner. Afterwards we always complain because our GI system makes us pay for it.
    Cheating reminds us why we are on the diet that we are on.Going wild ? Not so much,not worth it.
    So ,go for it in small moderation, that way you will stick to your diet.

3. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Fodmaps. Kinda have to stick to it as the punishment can be brutal.

4. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I'm vegan. Well, I ride horses so technically I'm not because "that's exploitation." But I do follow a vegan diet, and where I can (i.e. basic household and beauty products) in my lifestyle.

I have managed to stick to the diet for around 10 years now, and I have been vegetarian most of my life. I am fortunate to live in an area where vegatarianism and now veganism are very common. Big brand names are making vegan options. Fast food have vegan options. A big supermarket chain just released a vegan chocolate cheesecake. I never ask or expect anyone to provide a vegan option for me when I go to a party, but usually there is a vegan option (or more than one) there because it's just so easy, and often the vegan options end up being the most popular.

In saying that, there have been a couple of times I have missed an ingredient by mistake and accidentally eat something non vegan. I don't blame myself, accidents happen. And I don't blame other people for a mistake either.

The main exception I make is medication. If I need something for my health (i.e. antibiotics) and they aren't vegan, I still take them. I am allergic to corn, sometimes there is a vegan option but it has corn as a stabiliser so I have to take the corn free gelatine coated capsule instead. I don't like it, but I do it if I need to.

5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I've done keto/very low carb on and off the last couple years, back on since the start of the year. I can't see me coming off of low carb again, as I just feel so much better on it. I cheat from time to time, and am trying to get out of the "cheating" mindset and more into a, indulging once in a while is ok sort of mindset. Example, I ate keto yesterday, my mom got me a special sweet V Day treat, and I ate it and loved every minute last night. Lol one whoopie pie is not going to reverse all the hard work I've done the last 6 weeks. I find when I get in the, "I'm cheating" mindset, I'm more apt to blow a whole day, which can turn into a few days, which can snowball easier. If I allow myself to indulge on occasion I feel less deprived. The less I indulge though, the less I miss carby foods, so I don't even like "cheating" much anymore, not to mention the bloat and sick feeling I get afterward :sick: I don't obsess over ketones or anything like that, and don't stress if I feel I "come out of ketosis" because I know at this point I'm adapted to the diet and, again, am not undoing everything by having a meal or day here and there that is higher carb than the normal minimal. I also don't cut green veggies which some people on keto do. If I know I'm going to a party, especially if I know I'll be drinking, I intentionally eat high carb the morning of, and have no problem cheating at the party. I don't attend enough parties to feel bad about it :p

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

No, I don't, but when I did I stuck to it. It's not that hard usually in my experience, but I don't get into desserts a lot in general. My failings have been things like loving green bean casserole with those crunchy fried onions on Thanksgiving. Usually you can just portion out three bites of a favorite and satisfy your desires without setting the entire barn on fire and burning it down on a diet plan.

I remember Jackie Kennedy saying she always ate not more than half of a delicious thing (loose interpretation) so technically, just moderation at play.

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I"m pretty much on a "see food" diet... I see food...I eat it... :) :D

Seriously, while I'm not really into special diets, since I do the majority of the cooking here, I have actively worked to have meals less focused on carbs and to strike a balance accordingly. Some meals have no "carb" side at all, for example. I'm also "trying" to reduce portions, but that's been a challenge because my younger daughter's participation in evening meals is erratic because of both work and "social" things...and I hate waste. (she's 19, a college student and also works about 30 hours a week at a restaurant, both hosting on weekends/evenings and working in the office three afternoons a week) She also doesn't eat most meat things, so I have to make an alternative protein for her, such as fish or egg, when the other three of us are having, say...steak. Although I would have never done that when our girls were younger, I do it now because with her schedule, nutrition is important. And I have the time, especially since her meal is usually at about 9pm. For the nights she's home for dinner, it influences the menu and as a result, we're eating more fish, for example, which is also good.

I make things fresh, too, including sauces. Eschewing prepared foods can be very helpful in having a good, healthy diet. It's not always possible, but most of the time making fresh takes the same amount of time and the end result is so much better.

8. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I mostly eat sugar and carbs. Is that a diet? Lol

Thank goodness I'm 32 and can still basically eat whatever I want without gaining (I'm not skinny but I'm happy with what I look like and I carry a lot of muscle).

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

My impression from the answers is that many people have chosen specific diets to follow.

I'm thinking about a catering service that 'caters' to specific dietetic needs for parties and special occasions.

A vegan wake? Maybe.....