Do I fit my saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Winchester, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

What an odd question for me to be asking I feel, but watching some video footage of my event back in October (and also a recent photo from a hunt) has made me question if I fit my saddle! I've had it for a few years and have been comfortable in it mostly, although the flaps are not forward enough for my long femur and I would do better in a forward flap design.
    I'm almost 5'9, 135lbs and this cc saddle is a 17.5" seat and regular flap. Here are some screen cap photos of what caught my eye... The first one is of me waaay behind - we were heading uphill, I'd been left behind at the water just moments prior and I was trying to get my balance on an incline.
    Screenshot_2018-07-06-22-04-29.png

Next couple are half seat at the canter:
    Screenshot_2018-07-06-22-03-09-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-06-22-03-30-1.png

Sitting trot:
    Screenshot_2018-07-06-22-02-09-1.png

This one isn't perfectly side-on but it was the closest I could find... You can see how my knee isn't suited to the flap.
    20170930_113526-2.jpg

Screenshot_2018-07-06-22-28-11.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-06-22-28-41.png
    Maybe these aren't super helpful, I'm seriously thinking an 18" would be better suited to me. Thoughts?

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Looks like an awkward fit IMO. I'd defer to @Rhythm 'n Blues to advise you on a few that'd suit you better and the size.

If you're comfortable, you'll enjoy yourself and perform better, so finding one that suits you and him would be wonderful.

ginster likes this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

You probably need an 18 due to your femur length. @hamerface

manesntails likes this.
  4. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Hey @Winchester
    You definitely could use some more room in the flap, and I don't think a forward flap would be a bad choice.

An 18" seat wouldn't hurt for XC where you may need some more room. Sitting you look fine in the seat, but over fences I can see that the combination of the seat size and the flap are pushing you back out of the seat some.

It depends what depth of seat you like too. A flatter seat will allow you to ride & sit in a smaller seat than lets say a deeper seated jump.

Any chance you can sit in a bunch of jump saddles to get a feel for what fits your leg? A fitter can do this for you too if you are open to hiring one of the many in your area.

froglander, ginster and Winchester like this.
  5. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

I definitely prefer the deeper seats... Although I'm more picky on getting a narrow twist for my pelvic structure. I've never yet found a flatter seat one that felt particularly comfortable!

I *could* hook up with a fitter, but I'm going to start by browsing the used tack shops we have - there's quite a few in my area which is lovely and they all allow trials. I do find that the fitters I have worked with tend to run with more expensive saddles, and never seem to carry anything in my budget. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for their input, it sounds like I'm on the right track to start looking for something else.

6. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

When I was shopping I just borrowed as many saddles as I could from friends and acquaintances. I don't know if you are at a bigger barn right now or have access to a tack room full of saddles, but it really helped me get an eye for what my horse needed. I agree consignment shops are a great option too.

I find its impossible to keep inventory of saddles priced between $800-$1800 I can get very low priced saddles, or high end used, but nothing in that sweet middle spot most folks are looking for.

Winchester likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

You're way up on the cantle most of the time but I think that's because of the way you brace your leg.

manesntails and Winchester like this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

A more forward flap would be good. The seat looks to be the right size.

Winchester likes this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

In the still shot you’re able to get your leg forward off the flap, it when your in motion (every single motion shot) shows you leg come back to the place it should on the flap which then results in your butt sitting too far towards the cantle.

I would imagine you feel like you’re “sitting in the back seat” a lot in that saddle. Also it would keep your behind the horses motion over fences as well. It just sits you in a more defensive position.

I’m not sure I’d do 18”. They don’t tend to be too much more forward than 17.5” in the flap - of course different brands are going to have different flap shapes for sure. Either way, I think you’d be better off looking for a forward flap option in a 17.5” seat size.

Tack Collector and Winchester like this.
  10. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

It figures that I'm at a place with only 4 other riders... And none of them jump! Only western and 1 dressage rider :faint: I have previously gone through this similar thing when I had to shop for saddles in the past, so I've definitely sat my butt in many different brands. As far as stability goes, this Collegiate has offered me the most especially over fences. My favourite was my County Innovation but I just can't find any for less than 3-4k even online. If I was to ever go custom, that's the one I'd drop the bucks on!

I've never particularly noticed this, but perhaps that is because I've long had the bad habit of being far too ahead of the motion and tipped forwards... I don't know that I've ever ridden in a forward flap saddle though, so once I get in one, I may very well feel the difference immediately!

manesntails likes this.