Do horses like music?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by goldio, Jan 14, 2012.

1. goldio

goldio Senior Member

I read in a horse book once (it was a fiction book) that sometimes if there would be someone playing an instrument or singing the horses would gather round and listen to the music because they liked it. Is it true? Do horses really like listening to music made by an instrument?

2. slc

slc Senior Member+

My horse thinks music is disgusting. Stupid and disgusting. Noise. Expensive noise. Stupid noise.

1 person likes this.
  3. meljean

meljean Senior Member+

Some horses do, depending on what is playing. We had a couple of Saddlebreds that would turn ears and head towards the radio.

And some of us would sing while working on them, (late hours, no sleep and a 10 day show has you doing all sorts of things.) and they seemed to like that.

Had some that would watch TV too.

I think they differ depending on the horse too, as to whether or not they like it.

4. LifeIsGrand

LifeIsGrand Senior Member+

I never really noticed, my mom used to leave the radio in the barn on and play stuff like frank sinatra and classical music. Horses didn't seem to really care or mind. But riding with music can help with your rhythm in a fun way!

5. RyderGal

RyderGal Senior Member+

Depends on the horse.

One summer I had my horse at the county fair with the rest of the 4-H club, and he spent the first few days a little out of it - Fair is a major change from the home environment, and a little adjustment is pretty much necessary for everyone. My gelding wasn't acting too upset, but he was not as relaxed and at ease as he was at home. On about the third day of fair week, another of the 4-H girls brought a little boom box and set it up in the tack stall next to my guy's box. Within minutes of having the music on, my horse was positively melting. You could just see his eyes go quiet and relaxed, and he finally started to really settle in. Maybe a coincidence, sure, but I still tend to think that the boom box had a little calming effect on him. :wink:

I love riding to music every now and again. Having a little outside rhythm can really make a difference. I've had little moments where all of the rhythms match... turns it into even more of a "dance," and puts a smile on my face every time!

6. My Bida Booger

My Bida Booger Senior Member+

My horse loves music!

7. SASSY1202

SASSY1202 Senior Member

Haha I listen to and sing to music while tacking up and grooming!! Pip just loves it!! Depends on whats playing tho! His favroites are Maron 5 and Adel!!!

8. farmeress

farmeress Banned

There was an actual university study on this...but dang....I can not remember where...it was in the Canadian Veternary Journel....hmmm....off to search google for it.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

I've never had a horse complain to me about the radio being on. I leave mine on all night just loud enough to give some background noise and turn it up so I can hear it all over the barn during the day. Never had a complaint.

10. DocSueScooter

DocSueScooter Senior Member

That's how it is at my barn too. Scooter never really seemed to notice/care but I used to sing to Chip all the time when I was tacking up and he seemed to relax a little bit (It probably wasn't my singing though because I'm not very good LOL!)