Do horses grieve for there pasture/barn mates?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Iluvmypunkin, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Iluvmypunkin

Iluvmypunkin Full Member

I havent posted a thread in a while about Punkin SO.....

She is wonderful.... she has been a little jumpy here lately but I was wondering if maybe that is because of her pasture mates leaving we had another horse and a pony and we sold them both about a month ago... she was a loner before then and now she seems to just be ughh.... (let me know what you think)

we are going to a horse show SATURDAY!!! woohoo

I think my little girl is riding in it.... (its up to her and she hasn't decided yet) if so I will post pics of her if not then .... i will probably post pics anyway....

Let me know what everyone thinks...

Thanks in advance...
    Jessica:D

2. foxyfuzz

foxyfuzz Senior Member

I surely think they grieve. Especially if they were / are used to others being around and now they are not. It will take some time for her to 'get back to normal' until then I would say just give her extra lovin and she should be fine. Would love to see more photos! Good luck!

3. Iluvmypunkin

Iluvmypunkin Full Member

thanks

at first she was by herself but then we brought in 2 other horses but she just is not herself.... there will be pics this weekend i promise!!!!!!!!!!

4. Reitpferde

Reitpferde Senior Member+

I can tell you first hand that they may grieve. My retired QH was sharing a small barn and pasture with two mares. The three of them got along famously. One day, one of the mares ran full speed into a tree and died later that day (clearly some severe head trauma). My QH and the other mare were very subdued for days. When I came out to check on my horse, my usual snack-a-holic walked to come see - much unlike his usual nickering/running to get his treat.

5. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Yes, I do believe they grieve. Now, their process may not be similar to ours....but they grieve...

6. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member+

It does take them awhile to adjust to being alone, they are herd animals. Our Pumkin Pony seemed to be fine when we had my sisters mare put down, then when we pulled the trailer out that spring she went crazy crying and looking for Foxy, and that was months later.

7. Miss Patience

Miss Patience Senior Member

I think in a way that they do. When my old mare lost her pasture mate, she called and called for two days, then finally calmed down. I think they know when something doesnt seem right or something is gone...

8. Artrageous

Artrageous Senior Member

yes, they do.

I read the "Chicken Soup For The Horse Lovers Soul", and there was a story in it about these two mares who had been together since they were foaled. The person who wrote the story bought them together, and they had been abused. They were so herdbound to each other that she had to keep them both in the same stall (they wouldnt be even separated by a wall!). Anyway, one day they were outside and one of the mares was shot, I think, and killed. The other mare used to call her friend in for dinner and such. Even after the horse died, the other mare called for her and called for her. She never came, though. Its a sad story. But yes, they do greive.