Do Barn Owners have an ethical obligation to care for abandoned horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

My horse was an abandoned horse.

We get about one a year at my barn. It's never good.

My barn owner gives them 30 days to pay up, and then starts trying to re-home the horse. In my horse's case, she got injured, and I stepped in and paid for a vet in lieu of purchasing her. It was either get the vet out or put her down. Good horse, rotten previous owner.

2. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member

I believe a BO has an ethical obligation - to a point. A BO shouldn't allow a horse to fall into severe neglect while on their property. If abandoned, the BO should try to do the best they can for the horse, whether it be selling, giving away, or even putting down if the situation requires. I believe a BO has the obligation to ensure that the horse has the minimum care required. I do not believe a BO has an obligation to provide a forever home to a horse, nor to provide the horse in the manner in which the owner did (meaning, special shoes, supplements, etc).

3. slc

slc Senior Member

These requirements are all defined by law. It's not a matter of personal preference - the way an abandoned horse must be handled, if the person boarding the horse has to feed it or not when it's abandoned, all defined by law.

4. TallOak10

TallOak10 Full Member

Unfortunately, in SOME states they are defined, but not all.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Morally and ethically? Yes, I think you (general you) are responsible for the animals on your property. Whether you own them or not.
    Legally, that probably is a completely different pair of shoes, depending on your location.

mooselady likes this.