DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Oops maybe I misunderstood what you wrote! I went down the long side let's say on right rein, so SF/SI to the right, got to the corner and continued on right rein, yielding away from my right (inside) leg (so turning to face the inside of the ring) and weighting left hind and getting right more active.
    I'd get back to the rail and now be on the left rein, going left.

So just before canter right, I'd be weighting the left hind and engaging right hind... Am I doing that backwards? I thought I'd be engaging the inside hind leg and getting it more active before picking up that lead in canter but I could very well be thinking backwards :crazy:

I do think the exercise helped her canter depart and quality initially, but as I let her continue, she got strung out. Which is her norm right now if I do anything more than half a long side or one 20m circle or so. She just gets too exuberant and unbalanced. I should stick to shorter periods of canter and more transitions, as that's what seems to be helping most, she just hadn't been ridden for a few days and got excited that first real canter :rolleyes: Hopefully that's clearer!

Rhythm 'n Blues and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Yup clearer for sure - thank you!

Try riding down the long side to the right, and only do 2-3 steps of SF/SI, then turn off the long side and head straight across the arena. At the quarter line closest to the wall you left, that’s about where you want to do your WTOF. You might need to halt first, then start the WTOF, or you might be better off to slow the walk down and then initiate the WTOF out of that. See what works best. Do a 1/2 WTOF so you are now facing the same direction you came from & again your straight pointed towards the long side you left. Walk straight back to the long side and then turn right. Then repeat the exact same exercise. You should be able to get 3 WTOF in within a 20x40m ring (so 40m long side). Be very careful to turn perpendicular to the short side, and stop the WTOF perfectly perpendicular to the short side and then walk straight back to the long side. Those are key things - don’t let it be a step before or after being perpendicular.

You want the weight of the horse to be shifted ONTO the outside hind leg with the WTOF. That’s the 1st step of the canter stride, and so that limb must carry the weight of the horse INTO the canter. The SF/SI is doing the same thing, as the outside hind leg is the carrying limb through that exercises as well. Yes you’re engaging the inside hind leg in both exercises as well, but to get the correct canter lead and a bit more lift in the front end within the canter, its the weight shift onto the carrying limb that really affects it.

As with everything there is only a certain length of time that the effects of exercise last. So I would suggest bringing her back from the canter before she gets strung out. If you miss it, then perhaps play with how your seat moves in the saddle, to see if you can’t get her to sit back on the hind legs again. Most riders like to tip the front of their pelvis down in all gaits. That’s what I call “riding the horse down the H.E. Double hockey sticks” But if I say “ride the horse up to heaven” then they tend to change that & tip the front of pelvis up and voila the horse travels better. It may be something to think about - how much up in the front of the pelvis can you you hold/add/keep in that moment of the stride?? Can you resist getting “sucked down” in the 2/down beat of the canter stride? How far back does you bum slide in the saddle?? Do you fold at the hips when the bum slides to the back? All those things can affect the canter quality & balance of the horse & the limbs.

Alsosusieq2 and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

Ah that makes sense! I must've just made up the one I did, but was at least going in the correct directions lol

I'll try your exercise - I can see how doing it that way would be more beneficial and better improve the canter depart and gait itself.

I know I tip my pelvis forward even if I'm focusing on sitting back, especially when she gets unbalanced. My seat also feels terrible at the moment, which is why I think doing short periods of canter is what is helping both of us right now - quality over quantity. I've had some low back pain the last couple weeks which is not helping either. I'll definitely use that visual though to think UP. I know it makes a huge difference, and was doing so much better with it in lessons, but have gotten worse about it again :oops:

Thank you so much for all your help @Rhythm 'n Blues !! I appreciate it so incredibly much!

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ have you seen a body worker for yourself????

5. DocsLglyBlonde

Lol no... I'm a 3rd year physical therapy student, so know a lot of what I need, and fellow DPT students will work on me from time to time, but I have a lot of dysfunction that could be addressed :blushing: The back issue currently is not a chronic issue. It was from me not stabilizing my core when Samson threw in a big buck during a ride a counter weeks ago, then me further irritating it by overdoing yard and barn work the last several days. I know the postural, strengthening, biomechanics, etc that I need to focus on, and do a lot of self mobilizations especially on my t spine (and get a good manipultaion when needed by friends), but could use someone for soft tissue work. Foam rolling can only do so much and is not very specific or skilled lol.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ glad you're doing something, but might be time to step it up a notch........;)

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

I'm my own worse patient :LOL:

I finally splurged and got Princess a Nunn Finer Piaffe girth, for a really good price actually from RW. I think it'll be straight enough that she'll like it as much as the current one, but "anatomic" enough with the humane ends to keep the saddle from being pulled forward and down. I've heard really good things about it, so hope she approves and it is a happy medium. I always loved what my TSF girth did to my saddle position and stability, but I do think it was the reason for her pec and sternum soreness :( I'm excited to try it though! 41PIAFFE-2.jpg
    Of course while I was ordering, I got 2 new Mrs Conn's sponges (I had to refrain from getting more :rolleyes:) plus some more blanket wash and reproofing for her stinky blankets.

A couple more photos from yesterday because she's cute. We need to see the sun again sometime soon :rolleyez:

Derpy Doo (but seriously, how proud does she look??) MVIMG_20181112_143653~2.jpg American flag unicorn horn :rofl:
    IMG_20181112_143648.jpg

8. DocsLglyBlonde

We both loved the new girth today, but I didn't tighten it enough and she was in no mood to stop mid trail and let me snug it up, so while it was fine, I'll know for next time :oops: We did a nice hack in the state park, and she was such an angel. It was the first time she's been on the trailer in a while, and she was a very good girl. She enjoyed getting out and doing something in a relatively mild, 40° day.

She must be so full of herself, getting compliments by every passerby. I'm also so grateful that she tolerates me... I was reminded today, with her being a little fresh and excited to be out, of what an alpha mare she is. I swear, every living thing we passed (dogs, adults, children, bicycles...) she sized up, made herself big, gave them some good side eye, then decided they weren't going to bother us and waltzed on by. She was not misbehaved at all, it was just very obvious today that she is defensively curious let's say (and not at all fearful)... I wouldn't want to threaten her when she's out and about! And I certainly feel safe with her on my side. The old rhinoceros :rofl:

Road snacks.
    IMG_20181124_123932.jpg
    We be waltzing.
    20181124_183517.gif
    How to make yourself look deceptively small...
    IMG_20181124_134749.jpg
    "Mom. Can we please just run through the field now. Please." (We were waiting for the joggers to get further away so they would not be scared of the rhinoceros running past them) :rofl:
    IMG_20181124_150835_090.jpg
    Headed home!
    IMG_20181124_151837_679.jpg
    Bootylicious. Her coat is actually looking fantastic lately, and still a lot shorter than I expected it to be ~5 weeks post clip!
    IMG_20181124_163920.jpg

ginster, SkyeTiger, mkoktavy and 2 others like this.
  9. DocsLglyBlonde

Woahhhh the Queen's got moves!

She had her first monthly Adequan injection after the initial loading dose a few days ago. Two days ago, she was bucking in her stall, bolting outside, bucking out there, charging back in, pestering everyone. At first I thought she was being a turd and telling me she didn't want to go for a ride, but then I decided she was just feeling really good after her injection :rofl:

So I rode today, and she felt amazeballs. She was a little tense because she felt so good, but worked out of it well. We did lots of lateral work, including LY along the rail, SI, and Travers. Then I tried TOF to a canter depart, and she actually did her first real walk-canter transition ever... I have never actually felt such an uphill LIFT into the canter before. Holy cow! And I was amazed by how relaxed she stayed (she used to get so frantic whenever I'd attempt W-C transitions) and what a nice quality the canter was after that beautiful ddepart. What a difference it makes when she's comfortable loading the hocks more. We kept the stretches of canter short and focused on quality. We did the same in the trot too actually, and her trot felt great as well. She was extremely happy with herself, and enjoyed all the praise she got for being a rockstar. I wish I could convey the back swinging she had going on by the end of our ride through photos :p I'm so happy she is feeling good :heartbeat:
    IMG_20181130_151149.jpg IMG_20181130_151258.jpg IMG_20181130_151316.jpg IMG_20181130_151332.jpg

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

:applaud:

Now you know why I love TOF before canter so much (y)