DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Proof that pictures do not tell the whole tale :unsure: What a horrific ride today. She was spooky, hollow, tense, scooting away from leg... Just not good. I got some fleeting moments of nice, but this is not how the ride went...
    18A1A600E843D17EFB84BE7D996CB8B8.jpg D0563767BFB4F420906B1CFE9D88CA7E.jpg C6CCB3E822CEE5FAC74C7AAE4F1A6B97.jpg CBA1AA52BA630F7AC99AAF299203ED98.jpg
    I worked on her and her poll is all out of whack. She's incredibly tight through the suboccipitals, especially on her right side. I did a manipulation on upper cervical spine which really helped loosen her up. Her back and hips were we're actually not as bad as expected, but needed some work.

I started her on Omeprazole immediately after our ride. She is not right, and she's not quite at the point of showing me her tell tale ulcer signs, but I'm going to trial and see if they make a difference. The cold backed feeling, hollowness, sensitivity grooming... She ran out of the barn when she saw me coming with her halter today... It all points me to ulcers again because we've been through it before. I have no doubt she has scar tissue, unfortunately, which makes her prone to them. Who knows what would have brought them on again, but we'll see how she does with treatment. I was hoping being medicated for PPID would help, and it seems like it has to some degree; apparently uncontrolled cortisol levels with PPID can increase risk of ulcers. I need to keep up on the body work too.

Finally, I felt like I was being tipped forward the whole ride today. I don't know if she is less wide or if it is the new girth (which she loves, but I feel may be pulling her saddle forward). Here's a saddle photo post ride for anyone interested. It looks wide to me, but also like it may have been pulled forward :rolleyez: It's a mess over here :p
    IMG_20181107_130807-EFFECTS.jpg
    And lastly, because she's cute and tries even when things aren't going well :heartbeat: IMG_20181107_130802.jpg

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

She looks a bit more bloated than your October photo. I have found metabolic horses can have good and bad days depending how they feel especially if they bloat from something.

ginster and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

Goodness! I worked on her upper c-spine and suboccipitals again tonight and holy trigger points. It did not take a whole lot to get them feeling better but wowzer is she tight through there. She also has a very strange tight band feeling through her right pec muscle, which I'd have to look at the anatomy of, but it feels like a really irritated tendon. I'm going to keep on working on her. I feel terrible that I haven't been more consistent with it :(

Her after her suboccipital release. She didn't love it but loved it afterward! Ugly Yawns :p
    IMG_20181108_183837_1.jpg MVIMG_20181108_183829_1.jpg

IMG_20181108_183848.jpg

Snapchat-334144240.jpg

LoveTrail, ginster, mkoktavy and 2 others like this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

That third pic.....

5. DocsLglyBlonde

Not all of us are pretty yawners ok? :rofl:

mooselady, ginster and Rachel1786 like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Hey, I can totally relate.
    Still, that pic cracks me up. It is such a great snapshot. Christmas or better yet Happy New Year card motive right there.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

Tried something we haven't done in a while! I lunged her to warm up, then used side reins on her. It took her a while to figure it out and accept the contact, but she eventually was accepting contact and working pretty well. We just used them at walk and a little trot. I like using them on her to help her work properly while accepting steady contact, without me or my mistakes in her way.

She did some of this...
    IMG_20181109_122239.jpg
    Then we got some of this (which got praised for stretching down and trying to figure it out)... IMG_20181109_122241_1.jpg
    Then this... Still working on figuring it out... IMG_20181109_122329.jpg
    And finally some better moments
    IMG_20181109_122402.jpg

MVIMG_20181109_122953~2.jpg
    IMG_20181109_154837_292.jpg

I'm still waiting to see if the omeprazole is going to help, but I think I'm also going to get her teeth done soon. They were done in spring, but she had a couple minor issues that I wouldn't mind being checked on again!

ginster, LoveTrail and mkoktavy like this.
  8. DocsLglyBlonde

Just a jealous Jessie face. When I took Samson out instead of her.
    IMG_20181111_174842_887.jpg
    Then she made a big stink at the barn while we were out riding. Then she was so relieved when we got back she had another yawning fit (#uglyyawner) :rofl:
    MVIMG_20181111_150319~2.jpg

Both pones got a hot oil hot towelling and my oh my are they soft and shiny!

ginster and LoveTrail like this.
  9. DocsLglyBlonde

Wowzers :crazy2: What a difference today!!! It's been 5 days on her omeprazole, and I do think it started kicking in now, which was a large factor. Everything, from grooming to girthing to transitions were not protested today.

*I* focused super hard today on not taking the reins too short and pulling backward. I know it's a dirty habit I have, and I know it only makes her hollow and invert more, which was clear in the video I took during that last horrible ride. It was almost better that it was such a horrible ride that got recorded, because it highlighted all of my faults and bad habits. So, I took my reins up enough that I had contact in a nice and relaxed frame for lack of a better word, and didn't shorten them really at all from there (of course staying elastic in contact though). When she inverted, I used leg and seat and got her forward and seeking contact again. That's maybe not totally correct, because I definitely lost some outside rein contact in those moments, but it seemed to work well. I also kept my hands low and tried not to allow myself to let them creep too high, which is when I tend to pull back. I need to keep thinking of pushing her into the contact and not pulling.

I did some spiral in and out, a couple strides of trot, then canter, and while she did not get righty, she did get lefty and via a couple of gorgeous, relaxed, confident, round transtions, so I praised her. I don't know if that is technically correct or not considering it was the wrong lead, but I couldn't not praise such a job well done. I probably didn't set her up well enough so blame myself anyways.

Then I did R&B's exercise, and she really got into it and it helped her get super supple. She really loves patterns. It was the SF/SI down the long side, working TOF at the corner, repeat a couple times, then get canter in the corner after TOF. She did a really nice job, and her canter got a little strung out, but she was super close to a walk-canter transtion (I asked for a couple steps of trot first), which helped make it a great transtion. When she got unbalanced and strung out in the canter, I did let her go around a few times because she felt like she needed it, but I tried to stay off her face, keeping contact light, and gave her more of her head while using seat to help balance her. Then we did get righty and she got lots of praise for that and she was very proud of herself. The whole time she was moving super well and really seeking contact with lots of roundness. Again, wildly different from a few days ago.

Lastly, we did a little baby travers and renvers, and they were still definitely baby ones, but I've been practicing weighting in the direction of travel for everything, and I could actually hear the click in her brain happen when I asked for each one :LOL: It was so neat! I think I was more confused about what I was doing than she was, because I weighted the correct seat bone, she started yielding that way, I asked for a little more flexion and added more inside leg to get better bend and outside rein connection, and she was like, "oh sure. I can do that." Blew me away! Again, they were little baby ones, but they just made sense to her which was cool to feel.

She also looked so good today. I think this is the best her big fat neck has ever looked in a photo :rofl: I also switched to my thicker half pad which helped my tipping feeling, but am going to try yet another different girth next time too.
    IMG_20181112_143323_347.jpg
    And this was my best attempt to capture how SHINY her hot oil/hot towelling yesterday made her :love:
    IMG_20181112_125655.jpg

ginster, LoveTrail, Pony123 and 2 others like this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Glad you’re feeling her eagerness to please not only after the omeprezole but with the “weight into the direction of travel”. That awesome!

Question:
    When you said you did SF/SI down the long side and WTOF in the corner prior to canter - which direction was your WTOF?? As I’m envisioning what you wrote I’m thinking SF/SI right, but then you’d come to the corner and the WTOF would have to be towards the wall - which would make her crossing over with the LH leg - putting weight into the RH........which would set you up for the left lead canter. I do wonder if perhaps this might be why she felt so strung out??? The exercises you didn’t isnt quote the one I suggested and I think perhaps the WTOF was in the wrong direction and maybe that’s why she felt strung out?? Strung out is totally NOT what the exercises ever does to any horse I’ve ridden or taught with it......so I’m a bit perplexed at that comment. Glad it suppled her though.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.