DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Consistency is certainly key. I haven't been able to ride since Saturday, and finally fit one in today. She was pretty amped up with this fall weather, and tense. I couldn't get anything other than a cross firing canter right, but left it alone because it was a physical issue and she was trying hard. Her back was tight and I assume her hocks were bothering her even though she felt sound in all other regards. Her left was unbalanced and rushed, but she was having a grand ole time, so she's probably going to get tomorrow off because it was a lot. So not great, but I think the days off, cold weather, fall fever were all factors so I certainly can't blame her. She was trying for me. I was also working on a circle today for cantering because she was so full of herself and felt it would be more profuctive, but again, the circles are still more challenging for her. She needs to get in shape again!

I tried some SI and Travers, and I was struggling to rewire my brain lol but it seemed to work well! She ended up doing more of a LY along the rail rather than Travers, but had a couple good steps which she got praised lots for :) The highlights were her turn on the forehands though today! I really focused on keeping her nice and active and making sure she wasn't just pivoting up front, and she did a beautiful job. What a difference and how far she's come with those. Despite her canter not being great, her departs were actually pretty good. I did try a TOTF before cantering a circle, and I liked the result a lot! We'll keep working on it all :D

Rhythm 'n Blues and Rachel1786 like this.
  2. DocsLglyBlonde

And a photo from the other day because she cute.
    IMG_20181013_171316.jpg

ginster and Rachel1786 like this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Glad the working TOF had a positive result in the canter depart :)

4. DocsLglyBlonde

She's been doing super well, able to hold a balanced and round trot for longer periods, and gaining confidence again in the canter as she gets more balanced. I've tried for a couple of rides now doing more T-C transitions and less time in canter (but enough to let her know she did a nice job and to reward her), and I think it's been working super well for her. She's getting more confident and relaxed in her transtions. She still misses the right lead probably 40-50% of the time, but she tries, and even if she's set up perfectly, it's just much harder for her to get still. It's improving though and will get there with strength!

Anyways, she had yesterday and today off, so her and Samson went out in the grass field for the first time in a while and they had FUN! She got dirty, so enjoy viewing the pig pen side of her :p

Holy HOCK FLEXION :woot: Screenshot_20181028-161044.png
    Screenshot_20181028-160823.png
    Is she a Standardbred?
    Screenshot_20181028-155618.png
    Pig Pen.
    IMG_20181028_152817.jpg
    Derp.
    IMG_20181028_152615.jpg
    IMG_20181028_152017.jpg MVIMG_20181028_151836_1~2.jpg MVIMG_20181028_151836~2.jpg

And the cutest old butts I've ever seen :love: IMG_20181028_151842.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    mooselady, wpgrider, ginster and 3 others like this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

A few more :)

Samson because he cute. IMG_20181028_152745.jpg
    Screenshot_20181028-161206.png Screenshot_20181028-161121.png IMG_20181028_152020.jpg IMG_20181028_152233.jpg
    Spoiled. Rotten. IMG_20181028_175737.jpg IMG_20181028_181052.jpg

Rhythm 'n Blues and mkoktavy like this.
  6. DocsLglyBlonde

I ended up doing a full clip on her because her coat was getting so dense. I think I'll try to do one more full clip before the winter solstice then see what her summer coat does. I keep hearing that the first spring following the start of Prascend is when people notice the biggest coat changes if they're going to happen. They both got butt marks tonight! I like Sam's better, but think both came out pretty good... I just free handed them and used these nifty new (cheap) Wahl trimmers I got off Amazon!
    Jessie's rose (I can't decide whether or not I like those leaves... o_O ):
    IMG_20181029_201914.jpg
    Samson's Dire Wolf (he's a big GOT fan :p ):
    IMG_20181029_221547_379.jpg

Larkspade, ginster and mkoktavy like this.
  7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Cool butt marks. Sam has such big eyes.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  8. DocsLglyBlonde

Lol yes he does! Big, googly, Jersey cow eyes :p
    IMG_20181028_145550.jpg IMG_20181028_145715.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    ginster, mkoktavy and LoveTrail like this.
  9. DocsLglyBlonde

Today was rough. She was soooo tense (obviously from the ghosts and goulds and goblins, oh my!). I felt like I had to unlock her whole left side. Her trot was very braced and hollow, but improved with some canter and lateral work at walk. I asked for her right lead to warm up at canter, and she got left, but it was a beautiful transition and balanced canter, so I let it go because I felt she really needed it to loosen up her back. She actually did a wildly amazing counter canter around the short side which was neat. I'm still focused on her leads (even though I'm confident that she knows her leads, just struggles with them depending on how she's feeling physically) I really never ride a counter canter. Once her left side was stretching out and she was loosening up I asked for righty, and felt I was setting her up well but she just could not get it. I was not getting frustrated at all, because she was trying super hard, but she was getting frustrated because she knew and just couldn't get it. She actually ended up cross firing a few tries in an attempt to get righty. I tried multiple approaches and absolutely nothing was working. It was not pretty, but I got her going on a circle, asked, got left, back to trot, asked again almost immediately and repeates aafew times unti she finally got righty. At that point I just got out of her way and let her do the full arena to loosen up and feel good about righty. She was very happy afterwards and got lots of praise, but was really eager to change directions and I couldn't figure out why.

I wanted to get her doing some lateral work to the left at walk and some quality trot before doing one good canter transition to the left. I could tell she was doing lots of thinking and was eager for something, but what that was a didn't know. I have been doing spiral in and out at walk on a circle, couple strides of trot, then canter depart just before the rail. She has been liking this exercise I think, because it allows me to be more clear with my aids, and she knows what to expect now without anticipating or getting worked up. I also transition to canter in a spot that does not give her the full long side to canter down, so she gets less strung out. I finally got around to that exercise to the left, and she was so excited, but so well behaved in her canter transition and canter left. I brought her back to walk and just lost it because she was licking and chewing and so proud of that transition, and she was like, "Mom, I know I had a hard time right today, but look how good I do this side! I do this side so good, see?!?!" :rofl:

She is wicked smart. I rarely get frustrated with her, but it's like she gets frustrated with herself if she struggles with something. She loves to do things well, and tries so, so, so hard. I just love her :love:

She will be getting some bodywork for sure.

IMG_20181031_165334.jpg
    Ignore her standing like a dork and my saddle pad that got all messed up. I have to fix my girth setup again :rolleyez:
    IMG_20181031_165259.jpg
    IMG_20181031_165354.jpg
    :love:
    IMG_20181031_175033_561.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    mooselady, Pony123, ginster and 2 others like this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

So much better today! She was still tight through her left side (I will be working on her tomorrow) but much better. She struggle a bit getting righty, but I remembered an exercise from our clinic, doing a figure 8 (two 20m circles) asking for the canter just after changing direction from a trot. She got it first try then. I need to be more diligent with my aids too I know. We did lots of SF, SI (definitely harder to the right, but not bad), LY, spirals, and TOF. Her canter circles (we did not do many) were so much better. They definitely still need work to get balanced, but we're headed in the right direction. She still braces and gets tense at times in the trot, but I'm getting more of that beautiful trot I know she can do out of her, and she is seeking contact more consistently than ever. Lastly, we worked on some half halts in the trot, really coming down to almost walk (but keeping it energetic), then moving off into a working trot again. She did great with that! She was very proud of herself today again. So proud, she saw a herd if deer in her field after I hopped off and started walking home, and she flagged her tail, arched her neck, snorted a bunch (obnoxiously loud), and did as close to a piaffe as I've ever seen :p I wish I got that on camera! She looks a little ribby here before her "piaffe" (don't worry, she's not. Lol). IMG_20181104_174053_822.jpg

Pony123, ginster and Rachel1786 like this.