DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Lol she's pretty cute :love:
    And that's one of my favorites on her! I lover her in orange and cognac. Thank you!!

ginster likes this.
  2. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I was reading a link posted on smarkpaks Facebook about clipping and blanketing(which lead me to buy Mark a heavyweight turnout lol but that's besides the point) and I had to screenshot this because I instantly thought of you when I read it :LOL:, I was halfway considering clipping Mark and I would totally do patterns if I didn't suck at it(I really shouldn't tho because I'm a groomer:rolleyes:) Screenshot_20181013-110631_Facebook.jpg

LoveTrail and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

Oh no I didn't resist the urge!!! :rofl: Last year I did a pumpkin too and it was literally blended in within 3 weeks, but she is no longer growing her coat quite so ferociously this year, thank goodness, so now I'm worried her pumpkin is going to stay for a while :LOL: They both get designs for the winter, but pumpkin needs to go sometime so she can get a different one. I have big plans for Samson... :whistle::barefoot::rofl: I'm still undecided what the princess is going to get though. I also really want a narrow blade to improve their designs, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet :rolleyes:

Rachel1786 and mooselady like this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

I realized I didn't add these ones here yet!

We tried circles yesterday, starting with some spiraling in and out first at walk then trot, and she did fantastic. We did a couple canter circles after spiraling out at trot, and she was definitely unbalanced and rushing, but fine. I'll admit I was not doing a great job of helping her out... We're both out of shape :oops: The footing was erring toward the sloppy side too after all the rain we've had, which I don't think she loved. It certainly was not bad, but I've learned after our lessons that she's pretty picky about her footing. We'll keep working on circles though.

I'm still doing a warmup canter in lines, and that first canter we do actually feels great, better left than right, but the subsequent ones full arena get too... exuberant... Seems to be the right word :rolleyes: I have to keep reminding myself though of what her canters used to be. Her worst days now are far better than her best days two years ago. Her transitions tend to get rushed, but she's getting leads most of the time, and is anticipating less. She was at one point just giraffing and counter bending and bracing at the trot in anticipation of the "C" word. With dispersing it more, she seems to be doing much better. I also know that her canter quality improves the more I do it with her, even throughout the ride, but I'm trying to not overdo things still, and it's hard to find a balance sometimes. Of course she doesn't know she'll be sore the next day if she canters around the ring a dozen times each way, but *I* know she will, so I hold her back.

I don't know what we're doing right, but her trot work has been so beautiful lately. She's on the bit and lifting her back, and really quite even both ways, with the occasional stiffness to the right. I really need to get a video to get an onlookers perspective.

IMG_20181013_114237_674.jpg IMG_20181012_170651~2.jpg IMG_20181012_190023_431.jpg

5. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Now I really want to clip Mark because I have a narrow blade somewhere from when I was grooming a standard poodle regularly (it came in handy for the clean feet) but sadly my only poodle groom passed away, but I still have the blade somewhere at work.
    So clipping question, what blade do you use and do you use it with or against the grain? I have a 10w(accidentally bought it at the groom expo the other weekend, meant to by a normal 10) but going against the grain is so short, I have trouble believing that's correct lol.

6. DocsLglyBlonde

For body clipping I use a T-84, which leaves the hair a little longer, but used to use a 10 blade when I worked for someone with minis who got clipped all the time. I always go against the grain with those unless I'm trying to blend, in which case I'll go with the grain. The T84 definitely leaves noticeably more on them. 10 is pretty short, but I also think pretty standard for body clips.

Rachel1786 likes this.
  7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

10 is definitely standard clipping length for horses. That’s the blade I use all the time, but I’ve usually always done a modified Irish clip or trace on the schoolie. So I’d just use a 10 blade or a super tiny pair of human clippers meant for beards, which is a bit shorter than a 10. Anyways, either way you’d see it as I never clipped their hind quarters that high up. This year it appears I’ll be doing a full body clip on Unicorn.....so Iikely no patterns for me.....unless I reverse it & leave the long hair for the stencil.....

Anyways, glad to hear she’s doing better & coming back to work better than ever!

8. DocsLglyBlonde

I'll just keep ferociously updating :rofl:

Did a lighter ride yesterday, but accomplished lots. I basically wanted to focus on transitions, so that's what we did with a few things mixed in inbetween. Her trot<-->walk transitions were really beautiful. She was light but stayed pretty round and working off that booty. I tried trot-->canter on the long side at about the halfway point, and they ended up being really, really nice! I brought her back to trot before the corner, so it was not many strides of canter, but I think for the better. I am missing my lessons, but have been reading lots, and read another article that made me ponder my canter transitions. There was talk of a scoop with your inside seat bone, which in practice I guess I kind of was already doing, but I made more of a point to scoop (without digging) and gave more subtle outside leg, still driving with the inside leg and keeping the hip angles open - she got her leads 100% of the time and seemed much more relaxed going into it. So I guess I'll keep working on my scoop (y)

I also introduced a baby haunches in each way, and she was confused at first why we weren't doing SF, but actually figured it out pretty quickly and did well. I don't know if it was easier for me or for her, but we ended up doing it off the rail and bringing the haunches out toward the rail. It made more sense to both of us that way :crazy2: She's also been really proud of her ability to move around her forehand lately, so at one point I was taking a photo of her pretty face while mounted, and she was just dancing around in circles around her forehand (really to face the grass, but showing off at the same time :p ).
    IMG_20181013_190328_361.jpg MVIMG_20181013_170310.jpg IMG_20181013_165056.jpg MVIMG_20181013_171418~2.jpg

GONE ROPING, Rachel1786 and ginster like this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

DLB - try a working turn on the forehand before your canter transitions. It'll improve the quality of the canter like no other!!

The seat scoop - it's an awkward thing for sure. Basically the canter aids one uses are the most rider individual aid on the planet. So what one person would suggest can be 100% opposite of what another person would suggest, even within the same discipline. You'll have to figure out what works best for the 2 of you for sure.

As for the haunches in thing - were you keeping the bend to the inside or allowing her to bend to the outside during it? If the later, it's a much much easier exercise for the horse, which translates to easier for the rider too. ;) There was a great visual I had awhile ago about the aids and weight placement for all lateral work. It was a fantastic visual. I should see if I can find it again. sadly it wasn't in english, but you would probably easily figure it out if you looked at it trying. I did & so did many friends :)

Are you heading back into lessons soon?

DocsLglyBlonde and Rachel1786 like this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

I've been trying to add in turn on the forehand throughout our rides to get her thinking about reaching up and under with the inside hind leg. When you say working, do you just mean an active motion keeping her forward in walk? I'll try it next time before our transitions too!!

I'm definitely going to play around with the scoop. Lol it sounded so foreign to me, but I guess I kind of did a little one anyways, so will do it still subtly but more consciously to see how it works out. I'd never heard of a scoop before!

For haunches in I was just off the rail, haunches coming out toward the rail, allowing her to bend out, which was toward the rail as well, if that makes sense. It was hard for me to figure out what I should be doing differently from a shoulder in, but seemed to get a decent grasp on it based on her being able to figure it out pretty easily. I hope. Ha!

As for lessons, I'm thinking I'll start back up in spring. It's so hard trying to keep up with homework during the winter without an indoor. I may ask about paying for just the indoor use for a couple months in the winter to keep her as fit as possible, but know I won't end up hauling her out more than once a week or so. I end up hauling her out to go on trails once we have snow or frozen ground anyways, and it's just a lot to add lessons in the mix. So I'm hoping for spring time. And I'm hoping for an early spring! And mild winter!! :cautious: