DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

if you check the threads on here, witchy behaviour is a symptom of a few of the PSSM variants, other horses show random lameness, muscle loss, resistance to training. It is such a multitude of symptoms that I'd rule it out for my own peace of mind...

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Hmm I truly don't think it was anything more than taking advantage of someone new (the tech did nothing "wrong" but was pretty passively leading her... She was far enough in front of her to get struck...) and being fresh with the cooler weather and exciting vet experience :rolleyez: But I will certainly keep it in mind. Like I said, it is not normal for her. She will get witchy when she's ulcery, but funnily enough, has not had any tummy issues since on the Prascend. It was a huge battle prior. She would absolutely not get away with that with me, but has also never even tried.

And gets the naughty bugger this afternoon :rolleyes: I love how good her coat is looking lately, though a hair on the thick side still, but much healthier and dappley!! IMG_20180920_161917.jpg

ginster likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

I uploaded her hoof radiographs to the other thread, but here is her R hock (the worse one) from today for anyone interested. Her Adequan was ordered so should be here shortly :)

Attached Files:

ginster likes this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

Lol well then I felt like a liar when the tech was helping with the radiographs and was like, will she be ok if I am behind her? I said absolutely, because they can poke and prod and do whatever they'd like in the barn and she doesn't have a care in the world! I don't think the tech believed me... It was just that whole trot thing that got her excited I guess :sick:

5. DocsLglyBlonde

:woot: It may be a caretaker placebo effect, lol, but I gave her the first Adequan injection yesterday afternoon. She was at the far corner of her paddock this morning (not super usual for her, but she likes these cooler mornings), I said hi, and she stared at me a minute before galloping into the barn for breakfast :rofl: She has not done that for a while! I'll ride today, but I'm hoping it's a sign she is feeling gooooood and the Adequan will work well for her :applaud:Farrier comes this week and will pull her wedges off. Also, her coat is beautiful, but already pretty thick, so I have to figure out what I'm doing clipping wise pretty soon :rolleyes: She has been feeling really pretty good on rides the last week or so, with the only difference being pretty consistent BOT use, so that's positive! MVIMG_20180930_073813~2.jpg

6. DocsLglyBlonde

Holy crow is she feeling good!!! I truly didn't notice a big difference after her first Adequan dose. She was sound last week, but otherwise still struggling with the same things. She got her wedges off on Wednesday, so my farrier had me give her a few days off to let her tendons stretch to accommodate the new angle. I rode today for the first time since she had her tootsies done, and I also gave her the second Adequan injections on Friday. She felt AMAZING today. She was so laterally supple, got both her canter leads no problem, let out an exuberant buck with her left lead transition before doing a beautiful transition after that to make up for it, and felt absolutely fantastic at the trot. I didn't ride long, and just did a long side of canter each direction, some trotting with minimal corners and no circles, and finished with some lateral work at walk. I am being cautious not to stress those front tendons too soon. She just felt like a huge horse today if that makes sense... She felt uphill and forward and very proud and happy with her work. She was actually quite bummed we did not do more, which is uncharacteristic as of late lol.

She's all clipped, legs and all so she's protected but not a yak come winter. I think her next clip, which if she's anything like last year will not be far away, I'll do a modern/pointed blanket clip, which I really like the look of and will be functional for her. She's so much happier right now clipped :) IMG_20181007_154250_174.jpg IMG_20181007_154250_173.jpg
    "Don't make fun of my patterns SAMSON!":LOL: MVIMG_20181007_133650.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

A couple more cuties
    IMG_20181007_130658.jpg
    This one highlights her big ears and bootiful eyes
    IMG_20181007_130714.jpg

8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Awww. Love the pumpkin and her bee suit. Jessie is a cutie. Be nice Samson, don't make fun of the punkin butt...lol
    Glad to hear she is doing well.

ginster and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  9. DocsLglyBlonde

She's been a little girthy for a while, and actually sore around her pecs and sternum to palpation. For the heck of it yesterday, I dug out my old straight girth and threw a fleecy on it, and wouldn't you know she loved it :rolleyes: I'm making the drive to Smartpak today for a COUPLE (I'm really going to have to demonstrate self control...:oops: ) things which will now include a new straight girth.

She was moving soooo round yesterday. Like more round than I think I've ever felt her move before. I was working on within gait transitions, getting a nice forward working gait on the long sides, and trying to gather it up it bit on the short side. I was focused on a driving lower leg while keeping my hip angle more open, and had to think of a restraining rein aid which really helped me. I recently read an article that gave me some good imagery, since I tend to not "restrain" (ie provide enough consistent contact) enough. This was certainly not me pulling back on her, but forcing myself to up the contact and steady it, which got her working up into the bridle so well so long as I didn't slack on my driving aids :p I got stitches from having no abs and half halting so much :rofl: Her canter was very big and forward and exuberant, but we tried a little of the same in it, and got a few good moments... We really need to start getting back to cantering on circles to help her balance again. I think she's feeling so good, there won't be any harm in adding them back in slowly. She just seems so much more willing to work off her hind end, which I'm thrilled about. Her protests are inverting into giraffe form, and that has decreased dramatically. I always felt like even with lessons and our clinic that something was wrong... she just couldn't get on the bit and really move round very often it hold it for long despite doing everything else do well, and I think this whole time it was the hocks and the PPID too :( She's even been sweating more, so I wonder if she was getting anhidrosis to some degree from the PPID. She is happy to come out to work now, her attitude is so much better during our rides, and I'm less worried about her getting sore because she hasn't been sore! I don't know how much of that is from PPID and how much from the hocks that are happier now, but I'm so incredibly happy that she's happy :heartbeat:

IMG_20181010_192421_811.jpg

She was pretty sleepy after our ride yesterday...
    Snapchat-372235378.jpg

But cookies woke her up...
    Snapchat-394261064.jpg

10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Aww, what a cute face!!
    Who could say no to that face?
    Also - love the orange pad on her!

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.