DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I had to get rid of that app! I have way too much stuff for one horse already... Jessie just looks good in any color!

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

So. The princess has definitely had some lameness going on, and still seems to work out of it well, but it is not going away. It's definitely left front. I palpated everything, and was very firm in any suspect areas (like suspensory) and she had no reaction whatsoever. I also went all over her shoulders and found nothing, which is why I started suspecting lower down. I wasn't expecting anything ligament related because she seems to work out of it quite well, but I'm even more confident about that now. I flexed her and recorded her gait for myself, and it is obviously LF and seems to be at the knee. She didn't flex test terribly, but it was just enough to make it more obvious to my eye. Fetlock flexed no problem.

So I'm thinking she has knee OA, probably exacerbated by stomping at flies (I've been more diligent with keeping her boots on but the flies have been absolutely horrible this year). Interesting enough though, I'm on some FB groups for PPID horses, and uncontrolled PPID causes high cortisol levels, which is responsible for many of the symptoms, but cortisol also naturally relieves pain. Due to that, some people have found that PPID horses' existing arthritis may be symptomatically (not physiologically) exacerbated when on Prascend because cortisol levels are controlled, so that natural pain reliever is no longer acting to mask the symptoms, ie pain, of the arthritis.

I do not think it is anything I'm going to rush the vet out for, because I will not do steroid injections with her, so there's not a whole lot they can do. They will be out before too long though anyways to retest her. I plan to manage it conservatively, maybe invest in a pair of BOT knee boots (add those to the collection :rolleyes: ), avoid circles and such so long as it is bothering her, but continue exercise as tolerated to keep the joint as happy as possible. She has toed in and paddled her entire life, so I'm not shocked she has some knee OA. Hopefully she can be happy and healthy for many more years, but I can't help but often think about how she will probably not age as gracefully as her barn buddy, mister Samson. Samson may start working more, which he will truthfully love :rolleyes: He's been a jealous guy lately!

Look. She's even adorable during her flex test :love:(and my big butt is there too for everyone to see :oops::rofl: ) Screenshot_20180914-092340.png

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

And my best attempt to figure 8 wrap her knee so I could poultice it with Sore No More :) MVIMG_20180914_104603.jpg

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

And she's sound! o_O I'm certain it's the knee now, and she started out sound yesterday so there was nothing to even work out of. She's been getting poulticed to cool, BOT overnight for heat therapy (I figured out if I flip the pillow upside down in my quick wraps, they are larger enough to still come down over the fetlock but also sticks up to cover most of her knees), long warmups including canter work on lines (which has helped a lot. Also her canter felt awesome yesterday), and fly boots anytime her BOT wraps are not on. That seems to have done the trick :rolleyes: I'm still going to be very cautious with circles and anything that will stress those knees. She needs to get more fit which I will help her out. We can do that in a non-irritating way though. Yay PT knowledge! (y)

Here she is after her ride and rinse yesterday with her clayed up knees, fly boots, dry rug, and waiting for her freshly steamed hay... Oy vey :rofl: IMG_20180916_121823_558.jpg
    Oh and giving Samson major mare glares for eyeing all her sh*t :rofl:
    IMG_20180914_160941.jpg

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

She's not chestnut, but that's a decent mare glare-!!

6. DocsLglyBlonde

Well I'm certain of nothing :rolleyez:

She was visibly uncomfortable this morning, doing a tiny bit of weight shifting, seemingly more sore on RF now instead of LF, and for the first time through all this had mild pulses and slight heat in the hooves.

She's now in her Soft-Rides with magic cushion packing and got 1g Bute. Her pulses were gone this afternoon at lunch and she seemed much happier. That said, vet is coming out tomorrow. She needs a 3 month ACTH retest to see if her Prascend dose needs to be increased at all anywyas, and I figured I'd have new rads done on her hooves for good measure. I'm also soaking her hay now, because while she was doing well with it (it's ~14% sugar), the sugar being on the higher side for her, the seasonal ACTH rise being almost at a peak, plus maybe having too low a Prascend dose may be causing some low grade laminitis.

So, not great, but it's is still so mild, hopefully we can sort it out and get her feeling better quickly!

ginster likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

Oy very kid!

My lovely vet came today, and Jessie was a monster. I don't know what is wrong with her, but apparently she only behaves for me :oops: I was so embarassed by her behavior... Mid lameness eval, the tech was leading her and Jessie struck out and got her in the thigh, then proceeded to buck while being led. I offered to lead her multiple times and apologized profusely but was so embarassed! She's NEVER like that. She used to be, but I was shocked today. I guess that's what happens when no one but me works with her for 13 years :unsure:

Anyways, her front end looked fine, but she was off on her RH. She flexed pretty terribly at the R hock, so we repeated those rads. Her OA has progressed a bit, but not terribly. We don't want steroid based IA injections, so I'm going to start doing Adequan injections with her.

We did repeat a couple hoof view to get an idea of how they're looking anyways, and I'm glad we did. They look great overall, but I think we'll get rid of her wedge to improve her palmar angle. Otherwise, she has a thicker sole now can 2 years ago, m/l balance looks good, and there is no rotation or sinking evident.

We did do another draw for ACTH levels, just knowing they'll be affected by the seasonal rise right now.

Overall, my bank account is sad but I'm very glad we got a lot cleared up and have a good plan! I was too ashamed to take any photos of the brat :p

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oh wow, so sorry to hear that!
    Is she a candidate for PSSM? Or did you already test for that?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. DocsLglyBlonde

I have not tested, and she certainly is typey for it, but has never shown any signs of it. What makes you think PSSM based on her symptoms? My vet said she is showing more lameness than one might expect based on her rads, but that the OA is definitely there and progressing (though not wildly progressing), and he is not surprised that she's showing outward signs from it. I'm hopeful the Adequan works well for her!

ETA I do not think her being an a** was related to soreness, but rather being incredibly fresh between the weather and potentially challenging the tech?? I don't know. What a stinking mare. Thinking back, she was not kind to the tech from 2 years ago during her flexion test, but that tech was honestly being stupid so I didn't blame Jess ... Maybe she needs more people in her life other than just me ...:oops:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

My mare is a monster for the vet :oops:, a few years ago I had them out for some icky discharge that I was concerned could be a urterine infection(she was in heat :rolleyes:) and she kicked the vet when she was trying to to the internal ultrasound. Then in the beginning of the year a different vet(same practice) was trying to get a temp on her and she was trying to kick her(multiple times) so gave up lol, I said how she tried to kick vet 1 before and she said, no she did kick her, so I guess Bella has a reputation lol...she should have been a chestnut mare.
    PSX_20180919_222229.jpg

Hope Jessie feels better soon!

Alsosusieq2 and DocsLglyBlonde like this.