DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I'm pretty sure she's fine with a short crop, but I'll have to try it and see! Lol I haven't used one in so long I don't even know what bothered her anymore. I don't think I anticipate anything, especially because that last ride I was confident she'd be fine with it since it had been such a long time. I definitely react poorly when she reacts poorly though, and I'm sure I get tense, and know I start getting handsy because she blows through my aids. I think I'll get some good rides in, then try the short crop and tackle the issue if it arises by making a point to carry it. I like the idea of both so I still have something to reinforce leg. I just feel I need some reinforcement, because I was being ignored by her at times during the clinic when we were really tackling yielding the inside hind, and I don't want my leg to start meaning less to her. Thanks ladies!!

Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  2. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

My friend has the same problem with her Standie that I was helping her with. He needs a dressage whip, not spurs, but he rush rush rushes every time she has one. Same thing, he's fine with it on the ground. I agree, ride with it MORE to desensitize her to it, start with a crop instead and work to a dressage whip. Carry it like a crop at first when you move to it, so at her shoulder, and then move to having it on your thigh.

2 things to try: first, have someone else rub her all over with it while you're mounted so she sees it's okay while someone is on her too. Second, just take a ride or two of just standing and walking. Spend a lot of time just being mounted and rubbing her all over with it while at the halt. Then do the same while walking. Throw away trying to walk properly while doing this, just let her ride around on a loose rein and rub her neck, ears, butt, shoulder, legs, everything with it while walking.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

When you want to graduate to a longer whip than a crop, be sure to get one that is stiff. Some of the floppier ones wouldn't be my 1st choice, as it can make them move nervous. They can often see it & feel it almost touch them as they trot along.

If you don't have a stiff one, try a broken lunge whip or something, heck even a tree branch might work & you can slowly make it a bit longer - well not that the branch can grow, but you could find a longer one every week or so. Lol

4. DocsLglyBlonde

Well I'm sad :( I've been giving her lots of time to shed out, and it's just been really slow going and she was slowing down rather than speeding up her shedding. Samson has been tested like, 4 times for PPID because he is always slow to shed and drinks a ton, but I've come to terms with the fact that it's just him. He always ends up really sleek and shiny and always tests negative. Well, even he's almost all shed out, every other horse I know is shed out or almost there, and Jessie had what would be a full winter coat for most other horses (and I did clip her late January so she had even a lighter coat than she would have had otherwise). So, I clipped her this morning because she was sweating yesterday just standing in the barn, and I'm making an appointment for her to be tested next week for PPID :( I know being IR and getting older can mean slower shedding, but I can't imagine it would affect her this much. She's maybe been a touch depressed, but otherwise has no other symptoms. So, fingers crossed, but I am prepared for the test to come back positive :cry: Thankfully she's been managed as IR for the last 4 years, so she's essentially been managed for PPID as well. The only thing I'm going to look into is a vitamin E supplement or antioxidant supplement with vitamin E if she tests positive, and hopefully Prascend can keep her mainly asymptomatic for years to come with minimal side effects... fingers crossed.

The pretty girl all clipped, then given a hot coconut oil and liniment after shave, and finally wrapped up in her buggy bee gear :p

Attached Files:

5. DocsLglyBlonde

On a positive note, check out the super cool spider webbing on her hind leg that I never get to see when she's not clipped (zoom in for spider webbing but ignore the poopy paddock :p ). This photo also gives a good idea of how hairy she was!

Attached Files:

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

She's adorable all dressed up.. looks like a horsey sleepover night. :)

Hang in there. Wait till you cross that bridge you know? It's manageable also, although not what we want to hear..

Give her a scratch from me and pat. Looking beautiful as usual. ;)

~tiffy~, mkoktavy and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

She's scheduled for a TRH test Thursday morning, and is happy to not be a hairy beast with the 90° weather we're having. I requested the TRH test after reading about it and talking to my vet about it last year, and think it is a better option than the ACTH test for her. I already know she's IR, so I don't think there's benefit in testing that again.

I'm also just about the biggest fan of Nutramino on the planet, and Equipride has become pricier, so I'm looking into a custom Horsetech mix with their High Point as the base and adding vit E and C for antioxidants, plus stabilized flax for omega 3's. She'd stay on Nutramino (Samson gets it so there's no point in adding it to Jessie's mix), Quiessence, and MSM. She's also on Smartpak's stomach pellets, and I still have to dose her with omepeazole before traveling, so I might just cut that one out... I was hoping it would give enough support to prevent ulcers with travel and I don't think it does (not that it's BAD but she only gets ulcers when traveling it seems). I'm still hoping for the best, but have come to terms with the fact that there's a good possibility she'll test positive. I know it is very manageable, especially with her not having many symptoms. If I do have to start her on Prascend though, I'll likely give her some time off of lessons because I know it can be a difficult transition starting and getting acclimated to the medication, and I want to be vigilent for side effects. I think she'd enjoy some more trail riding - it's honestly her favorite kind of riding, and she's gotten to be good as gold on trails, so it's very enjoyable for me too :) The two old cows enjoyed some grass and play time, and Jessie rolled like crazy with her new haircut :rofl:

Attached Files:

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. DocsLglyBlonde

Had her TRH test today, and the vet agreed it was a good idea to test her since her shedding habits definitely changed. I should get the results back in 7-10 days. We also did an insulin test since she was fasted anyways, so we'll see how she's doing on that front.

I rode her Monday and she felt a hair off at the trot in the beginning but seemed to work out of it (and was happy to continue working). She felt normal after a good warm up. I took her for a lesson yesterday and she was definitely (but still very mildly) off at the trot. We tried very short periods of trotting (again, which she was very willing to do) and she did work out of it a bit, but trainer seemed to think it went from looking like a problem with LF to looking more hind end. The whole lesson was basically a warm up, but because we both think it seemed arthritic or simple muscle soreness (considering she was willing to move and did work out of it pretty well). Trainer gave me some exercises to do at the walk, then suggested short periods of trot in lines for now. I think I'll take her out for some easy hacks so long as she still feels willing and nothing changes for the worse. I went over her, and her left SI area is quite sore, which would kind of make sense of what is going on. Her saddle looks good to me and trainer and the fitter was just out earlier this year and agreed. I'm wondering if her hocks are the root issue, since I know she has bilateral bone spurs, but they haven't been an issue yet. I've been doing work to get her on the hind end more though, which easily could have flared up the hocks and traveled up the chain. So I'll be working on that soreness with her, babying her hocks for a bit, but keeping her moving in a non-aggravating manner so long as nothing changes. She turns 18 and starts falling apart on me :rolleyes:

Photo shows her thoughts on the whole fasting thing...

Attached Files:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

"....*not* talking to you.."

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

I forgot to ever update this thread, but I think everyone has seen my other one anyways. Jessie tested very definitively positive for Cushing's and I started her on Prascend, plus a custom Horsetech High Point blend rather than Equipride, and started her on Smartpak's pituitary health supplement with chasteberry and extra vitamin E in it. She's doing great so far, but I told trainer I wanted to give her a break from travelling and lessons for at least the summer. Hopefully I can get some good trail riding photos for everyone though throughout the summer :) 20180617_090302.jpg