DLB Progress Thread ~ Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

We did! Thank you :heartbeat:
    Awe thank you! I have to pat myself on the back for the grooming job I did on her, because she came out looking better than expected, fuzz and all :p

The clinician and another rider commented how gorgeous her tail was :love: I can't take credit for that though. Lol I keep it neat and clean but that's just good genetics!

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

She's definitely got the genes, but yep..Great job mum. Kudos-!!

DocsLglyBlonde and mkoktavy like this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

We had a terrible ride yesterday :oops: After learning more about what we need to work on and watching other people working on the same principles, I really think a dressage whip would be beneficial to reinforce my leg aids for lateral work. The problem is, and I have absolutely no idea why, I never usually carry a whip because Jessie loses her mind over them. She's 100% fine on the ground, and is not afraid but yields with a light touch. I can rub it all over her face, she doesn't care one bit. She has never, in all the years I've had her, been mistreated by a whip of any kind. She did come to me this way, but I figured 13 years would wipe her memory of whatever bad experience she had. Turns out she still loses her mind undersaddle with one in her presence :rolleyez:

I decided to carry it with me yesterday on our ride, and she reacted as expected. She is tense the whole time, won't relax, rushes, and blows through my aids. I used it to TOUCH when she ignored my yielding aid, and she totally understood it's purpose and yielded, but I don't think she relaxed for more than 5 whole minutes the whole ride. Her canter was awful, her trot was rushed and tense, and I felt like what we were doing to encourage round was just getting her more worked up and hollow. I started riding front to back, unintentionally, because she was rushing forward off my leg, and at that point I recognized we were acomplishing nothing and got a couple good things at the walk and quit. Mind you, this was an easy ride, mostly walking, to practice a little of what we learned Sunday without overdoing it.

I have used and am confident using spurs to reinforce leg when needed, which is what I may go for instead of the whip. I have really pretty rounded ended ones :p I just don't want to have backward progress because she doesn't like the whip and I want to use it (because it IS really helpful when she's ignoring my leg!).

Ack. Bad ride. Silly horse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

That is frustrating...
    Can you work on the ground with her on this issue? Touching her is okay so now she leeds to learn that more abrupt movements of the whip are not going to kill her either.

5. DocsLglyBlonde

She could definitely use a refresher, but you would never guess from the ground that a whip would cause her any stress undersaddle... before I got on she started chewing it! Lol she is totally apathetic until you are sitting on her with it, whether I ever touch her with it or not. It is frustrating, and I was fine just not using one, but was reminded how useful it would be for us for lateral work. I don't know... She does fine with spurs and I feel good about how and when to use them and that I don't unintentionally jab her with them, so maybe I'll start using those again and do some more ground work with the whip to see if I could get her better with it, especially like you said, with bigger movements. It's such a strange thing, but she's literally been that way since I got her as a 5 y/o :confused: She looked sad this morning (I was probably making it up... she was probably just sleepy :p ) to the point that *I* feel bad about this ride yesterday, even though I know I tapped her all of 4 times with the whip... I should not feel like an abuser for that :rofl: Darn mares.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Your poor, abused horse!! You should be ashamed of yourself! :D

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I wouldn't switch to spurs simply b/c of what you described. I would ride with a short whip/crop and never touch her with it unlesba fee rides after she relaxes. Heck tuck it under your thigh and carry on for the first ride or so.

I would fix the issues not just avoid it. Spurs and whips have different uses. While yes spurs are fantastic for lateral work, if the clinician (?) suggested a whip there's likely a specific reason over spurs ;)

NaeNae, mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. DocsLglyBlonde

That's a good idea. He did not recommend either, I just decided by watching others and being familiar with both as tools, a whip may be useful for us for lateral work. I guess I was looking at them and planning on using either as a tool to help reinforce leg aids asking for the hind leg to yield :) So, I feel either will be useful, but agree if used differently they can definitely have different purposes. And I agree she probably needs to get over it!

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Maybe you both do? do you anticipate when you carry it? I like the idea of carrying a short whip for a while, never using it, just having it..

I was wearing spurs for our first level work, but when it all fell apart at the first show of the year, then they got taken away again *sigh* I still prefer them for leg yields etc, but have to get over this stupid tendency to grip up when scared...:blushing::blushing:

Don't stress the bad ride, you know that this is a roller coaster...highs and lows...

DocsLglyBlonde and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Definitely do this and always carry it now IMO. It'll soften up shortly imo.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.