1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Dislocated Hip?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mnhorsemom, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Mnhorsemom

Mnhorsemom Full Member

I saw an ad on CL this morning for a Haflinger mare that says she had a hip injury about 3 months ago and now they are saying it's out of the socket. Now, I'm certainly no vet but I would think that if the mare had a dislocated hip for 3 months that she wouldn't even be able to walk and that someone would not have let it go that long. By the same token where I live there are not a lot of good horse vets and this mare might have been seen by the local cow/pig vet. So, has anyone known of a horse with a dislocated hip? If so what was the outcome. Thanks!

2. Goldenseal

Goldenseal Senior Member+

LOL I mailed them about that mare too. looks like in order to be a "true" dislocation there is an injury first, usually a fracture of some sort and a true dislocation needs surgery to repair. the ad said she had been injured, im wondering what happened as well. wondering if it is a true dislocation or something else.

3. Mnhorsemom

Mnhorsemom Full Member

Yep, I'm waiting to hear back myself. I've been doing some research and decided I would really like a Haflinger, short and stout like me :D

4. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

She may have a dropped hip, and may be totally sound on it. I once sold a horse with a dropped hip, he went on to become a succesful dressage horse.

5. Goldenseal

Goldenseal Senior Member+

ok no worries, I will stay out of it. I am already retraining 2, but figured if she needed a retirement home or something she could come here.