Disinfecting tack

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Sapphire21, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Sapphire21

Sapphire21 Senior Member

Hi everyone,
    I will be moving Sapphire to a new stable in a week. Unfortunately, strangles has been going around at the barn we currently located at. Sapphire has been exposed to it(The barn manager did NOTHING to protect the healthy horses from it, one of the many reasons we're moving) but she never caught it(amazingly). Anyway, I want to disinfect her tack before we move her just to be cautious, I don't want to expose the horses at the new barn. (Sapphire will also be by herself for the first week). What do you recommend to disinfect/clean her stuff without damaging it? I ride both western and english so I have both sets of tack. I would also like to disinfect her halter and lead, winter blanket, cooler, brushes and polo wraps. Would throwing her polos and cooler in the washing machine be enough? That's how I usually clean them. Also, I found online that you can use diluted Listerine to clean the bits, would that be okay?
    Thanks in advance!

2. dallasbarnone

dallasbarnone Senior Member+

Nolvasan ,I think i spelled that right, theres also a cheaper version of this that is 20 dollars a gallon, made by priority care... chorlihexidine...

3. Surfinggetsmeup

Surfinggetsmeup Senior Member+

Use bleach on the brushes, pads, halters, coolers and whatnot. Or if you don't want to use bleach then wash in machine with hot water. Wash brushes, halters, and such in an antibacterial soap like dial.

For the bit just use regular listerene. You do not have to dilute it but just soak it in a bucket of it.

For the tack you could use the antibacterial soap diluted in hot water and use a rag to wipe it down.

Sorry for the spelling and grammer but on my phone.

4. randomequine

randomequine Senior Member

Brushes/hard, non-porous items - remove hair, etc and run through dishwasher on hot cycle. Or a bucket of HOT water with just a touch of bleach, then lots of rinsing.

Coolers/fleece/etc you can run through the washer but make sure it's HOT water (and that the hot water won't do anything to your fabric!).

I have also in the past used a 5-10% bleach water solution to disinfect leather (use a wrung out wash cloth), followed immediately by a normal leather cleaning.

Hope that helps! And jingles for your poneh that she remains Strangles free!

5. Ambrose

Ambrose Senior Member+

Chlorhexidine solution might be gentler than bleach (is definitely is gentler on living tissue), but I'm really not sure. I would be really interested in hearing what you choose to do - keep us posted!

6. Sapphire21

Sapphire21 Senior Member

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will keep you all posted. I am just wondering what you mean by a "normal leather cleaning". Do you mean with just saddle soap?

7. rascalboy

rascalboy Senior Member

Saddlesoap generally dries out tack, so if you have anything else (Leather Therapy, CPR, ect). And then a conditioner to replace oil.

8. Chasin_3_Cans08

Chasin_3_Cans08 Senior Member

I spray my bits with bleach 50/50 and then spray them really good with water so the horses dont get it in the mouth. Wash all of her polo's saddles pads, blankets in HOT water to kill everything.

9. Sapphire21

Sapphire21 Senior Member

Okay so I will run her polos and cooler through the washing machine. Can I do this with my English pad? As for the leather, does glycerine soap work? I would like to wash out the antibacterial stuff so my horse isn't irritated by it. Also, what should I do with my western pad? I can't run it through the washing machine!

10. Sunrisepony

Sunrisepony Senior Member+

Lysol Disinfectant Spray is great for just about anything, also Murphy's Oil Soap for the Leather, and as recomended above, pure Listerine for the bit. But usually with my pony's bit , just once a week I soak in a bucket of Dial Anti-Bacterial Soap and Water. I'm sure that would work for disinfecting also.