1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Difference in Western Saddles? Best Suited?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Zephyer1995, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

I've ridden in a barrel saddle for years. Had a cheapo trail saddle to start.
    I'm going saddle shopping this weekend. Yay!
    I'm liking the looks of the reining saddles but not sure if it would be ok for AQHA Ranch Pleasure, Trail, etc.

What's the difference between a reining saddle and say a cutting saddle or a ranch saddle? And how do they compare to a barrel saddle?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's the seats that are different for each discipline. You watch how each discipline rides and the seats are made for that discipline. Plus your horses in each discipline are doing different things.

If you're going to show in trail, get a trail saddle. You have to get a saddle that's going to fit his back and skirt length is going to matter. You don't want anything that's so long it rubs his hips, and from what I remember of your horse's confo, his back is on the short side.

3. Zephyer1995

Thanks. BO let me use one of her reining saddles she had for sale but I felt like the seat wasn't deep enough for me to cue for a nice stop. And I've noticed the reining saddles have kind of a "butterfly" type shape to them. That saddle also slipped forward on him while lunging. Not sure if that's a fit issue or just because of the way he moves on the line. But I have noticed a few different saddles will slip forward on him if he's on a line or free lunging. Maybe that's just the natural spot for him?

My 7" gullet barrel saddle was too tight over his withers and it's sold now. My sister's 8" gullet barrel saddle tips forward so a bit wide. Wasn't as bad with my 1" pad but I still didn't like the way it sat down his back.

4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

We use the same saddle for western pleasure, horsemanship and trail. These are show classes, tho, so maybe a trail saddle for actual trail riding is different? These are aqha shows.

5. Zephyer1995

I've always trail ridden in my barrel saddle or sometimes a close contact saddle

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I love the butterfly close contact....it's the ONLY way to go if you ask me! Get a saddle with a flatter "pleasure" seat....they are suitable for everything you mentioned.

Zephyer1995 likes this.
  7. Zephyer1995

Right now I'm looking at a Pard's Advantage and a Shawna Saperzgia. Never heard of either. The Pard's belongs to BO and I think stirrup length will be an issue. The other is online and not much found via google.

Then I'm traveling to a sorta local dealer Saturday that has many new and used saddles in stock.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You could look for a used Western show saddle with not much silver on it. You could use that one for everything mentioned and they're not as deep of a seat as a barrel saddle. That's just something you'll quickly get used to.

Alsosusieq2 and Zephyer1995 like this.
  9. Zephyer1995

Put BO's saddle on without pad today. Looked like it fit good except too long so that one is out :(
    IMG_6205.JPG

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Zephyer1995

Picked up a Tex Tan today. Wide tree. Going to give it a try tomorrow. It's labeled a "trail" saddle but I think I can do about anything but competitive speed events with it. If I decide I like it, I'll be switching the stirrups out. They're fairly wide.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.