Difference between contoured and anatomic dressage girths?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by slbose61, Dec 19, 2011.

1. slbose61

slbose61 Senior Member+

I just bought my first dressage saddle and am on the hunt for an anatomic dressage girth. I like the look and the reviews of the Prestige, but not the price. I have an option to buy a used Otto Shumacher contoured girth in excellent condition for $75, but I'm not sure of the difference between the two...other than obvious shape. Can someone educate me please? Thanks!

2. Lise

Lise Senior Member+

Contoured is shaped with 'cutout' areas so that the girth won't interfere with the legs, and is a bit more comfortable for the horse.

A true anatomic girth actually the entire girth curves forward... so the middle of the girth sits up in the 'girth groove' while helping the saddle stay back behind the shoulders in its proper position. This is what you would want especially if you find your saddle tends to slip forward while riding, or if the regular girth is really far behind the girth groove when done up with the saddle in the proper position.

3. slbose61

slbose61 Senior Member+

Thank you! Opal has a very forward girth groove, so I guess a contoured girth wouldn't work.

4. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member+

Lise is right. And given your horses' shape, you'd want ANATOMICAL and not just CONTOURED :) My mare is the same and I love my Jaguar Anatomical girth!

Here's an ANATOMICAL shaped girth:
    [​IMG]

And here is a CONTOURED or SHAPED girth:
    [​IMG]

The problem is - that some manufacturers actually use the term CONTOURED to describe their ANATOMICAL girths. Stubben does this.....Here is an anatomical girth by STUBBEN, which they call "contoured"":
    [​IMG]

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member+

^^ I tyupically see alot of manufactures or websites calling their girths anatomical, when they are indeed only contoured! :rolleyez:

6. Fancy That

True!!! I couldn't remember off the top of my head, and example of that .....I thought ThinLine did that for thier girth (called it Anatomical when it is only Contoured)

7. cadance

cadance Senior Member

I've noticed over time that leather contoured girths tend to rub horses more often than not (my horse being one of them). Now I use either a white cord girth (if she's extra dirty), or the County Logic anatomical girth. both are great and neither cause rubs. the County is a stiffer/harder leather which helps avoid rubbing as well. you can find used county logics online for decent prices, they're super expensive new.

8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member+

I have one made by Mallory's (for Olsen's tack) that I snagged off ebay for $150, it is a true anatomical girth with a retail price of $350 If youre not in a huge rush, shop around. I hear that Santa Cruz makes one (same maker as M Toulouse)

If your horse has a truly forward girth groove, the anatomical is definitely what you're looking for!

9. artisticgold

artisticgold Senior Member

10. Fancy That

Which one did you get? Curious :) My anatomical girth is a Jaguar. Retails for $400 and can only be found in the UK. Got it used for a sone, from a member here :)