Did you know Kudzu is safe for horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by whiteraven, May 15, 2007.

1. whiteraven

whiteraven Senior Member

According to the North Carolina State University Equine Vetrinary College, kudzu is a safe forage/roughage for horses.

Limited availability of traditional horse hays may necessitate feeding non-traditional forage sources. Horses can effectively graze kudzu, which is similar in protein and energy to immature graze hay. Overgrazing and destruction of the kudzu is encouraged. Other alternative forage sources that can be fed if properly harvested at an immature stage are:

DE(mcal/lb) CP% Ca% P%Oat Hay .79 8.6 .29 .23Wheat Hay .76 7.7 .13 .18Soybean Hay .79 9.9 1.12 .14Peanut Hay .85 14 1.10 .20
    Access the fact sheet entitled "Selecting Feedstuffs for Horses" on this web site. Obtain a feed analysis before feeding alternative hays. When the nutrient content and feed quality is confirmed, alternative forage sources can be substituted pound-for-pound with traditional hay sources.

...I don't know about everyone else but kudzu completely overruns parts of the South. I am seriously considering bringing some home and exposing my horses to it. IT grows faster than grass, is more nutritous than most of the grass types in my pasture, and could save me thousands in hay bills.

Anyone else heard of or tried this?

(source: NCSU: Animal Science - Extension Horse Husbandry, Horse Fact Sheets)

clydesdalechris likes this.
  2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Kudzu???

3. whiteraven

whiteraven Senior Member

Kudzu!!!! I have a hard time believing it too but NCSU is a fantastic vet school - they do their homework.

4. Huntseat

Huntseat Senior Member+

What is kudzu? Never heard of it.. :no:

5. Blistering Winds

6. Blistering Winds

it is a pain in the patootie in that it just takes OVER.....

and hard to kill once it has found a good root hold...literally

7. nicz2cu

nicz2cu Senior Member+

I have heard of what you're talking about and have also known people that allowed their horses to eat it with no harmful effects. Geat information that I had forgotten about.

They have been promoting Kudzo products and jellies for humans also.

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Kudzu is actually quite nutritious! Not that I'd jump the gun and plant it in my pasture :eek: :eek: but if it was available to eat I wouldn't hesitate.

9. Judy Tina

Judy Tina Full Member

unfortanatly kudzu is a PERMANANT plant once planted it WILL take over and stay. fire does not kill it, drowning it will not work,earth movage does not work either! so i would definatly say to look at all the positives as well as the many many negatives of kudzu!

10. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member

Kudzu is fine to graze. We have done it for years, mostly with cattle. But I have seen horses turned out on Kudzu and they will gain weight very quickly.

Kudzu will not hold up to constant grazing , or being cut and baled.
    The quickest way to get rid of it is to free graze or harvest.
    I have seen Kudzu hay advertised.