Developing a more "adult" wardrobe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FutureVetGirl, May 22, 2014.

1. FutureVetGirl

FutureVetGirl Senior Member+

So... Yeah. I'm starting to get tired of looking like an unemployed high school dropout. :p

Right now I pretty much wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a pair of loafer type shoes that are brand new, but that I know will be dead in a few months, because unless I'm riding and wearing my boots, I wear nothing but those shoes.

I have a couple things for really nice events, and a couple shirts and maybe one pair of pants that would work for an interview or something... But for the things that actually still fit and are nice, they are starting to literally come apart at the seams. *facepalm*

So... Yeah. I was never that girl in middle or high school who dressed up. And I had such a tight budget to go off of that most of my clothing choices in stores were bought because they fit and weren't a completely offensive color/appearance.

I'm 5'9.5" with long legs and arms. If something long sleeved or pant-wise, "tall" sizes are a must. Hourglass frame that is currently overweight, but still technically an hourglass. I like simple and classic.

I'm in texas, and hoping to move closer to the DFW metroplex soon, and need clothing I can wear out to drinks, to town type events, etc. I do assembly work at my job and it isn't open to the public, and whenever I get my second job I'm hoping for something either at a humane society or therapeutic riding center (in this case as a certified instructor). So my actual job would be in more of the t-shirt and jeans.

But for afterwards, for weekends, for dates, etc.... I have nothing.

Still would prefer jeans over slacks (no khakis) and skirts... The rest... I just don't know.

Help?

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

LOL...exactly what I wear nearly all year long except when visiting with customers. Really. And I'm 57. High school was a long time ago...so long that they didn't allow us to wear jeans to school, as a matter of fact. :D

Seriously, you can stay comfortable while kicking things up a notch just by selecting things that have a little more panache to go with those jeans or with chinos or with dressier slacks, etc. And if you like jeans, stick with them most of the time...there are "dressier" forms that work great for the situations you mention. And they don't have to be "blue". My black jeans are the favorite for when I travel on business so that if I get suddenly pulled into a meeting that wasn't planned, they can pass for business casual if necessary. That's just an example.

2 people like this.
  3. all4him

all4him Senior Member

I love doing a pair of skinny jeans, cute sandals and a pretty top. It always looks nice and I can even do this for church! I'd wear that for most anything except a job interview or wedding/funeral kind of thing. :)

I love the look of things in Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and surprisingly enough, Old Navy.

2 people like this.
  4. FutureVetGirl

Skinny jeans + me = bad combination. :p I need boot cut or flare.

And yeah, banana republic and gap are the type of style I usually gravitate towards, I just don't know how to build a successful wardrobe.

5. FutureVetGirl

And Jim, the reason I'm asking for some advice isn't because I want to fit to some preconceived notion of "adult clothing", but because I am not happy with my current wardrobe of jeans and t-shirts, and want some ideas. I know that I can't know if something will work on me unless I try it on, but don't ideas or tips would be welcome... More than just "go to a store and try things on!". I just can't do that.

6. Acantha

Acantha Senior Member

Old Navy has some good stuff. They regularly have 30-40% off deals too. So just wait for one of those and go nuts, lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. Reigne

Reigne Senior Member

Sounds like you need my wardrobe lol

Definitely pick up a pack of wifebeaters. They're great for layering. Slap a cute blouse over one with a pair of jeans or leggings and you're good to go.

For your body shape, which sounds a lot like mine, sleeves are your friend. Something like this: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5039&vid=1&pid=969255022
    (I was actually able to find it's double in Ross, just different fabric and color)

And avoid horizontal stripes unless the shirt really really really flatters your figure. And always look at the low v-neck before you look at the high scoop neck.

Edit:
    Friend me on facebook and I'll do some online shopping with you ;) I need an excuse to update my wardrobe lol

8. SouthernJumper

SouthernJumper Senior Member

Pinterest has a fashion section :)

9. luvmymosey

luvmymosey Senior Member

My daily wardrobe, when i'm not in my work scrubs, is usually a fitted tank top, boot cut jeans, and sneakers/flipflops. That will always be my wardrobe because it fits my body type. I've got huge hips, a large bust , and "dancer legs" so the fitted clothing really look good with my curves. I will probably always feel like a high school dropout. :p

10. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member

Look for Lee pants, dark black. i went with three quarter length sleeve flare bottom shirts that fit at hip level and have a collar. They look very professional, yet are comfortable as well.
    Friend of mine just gave me a ton of Lee dress pants, boot cut, gray with light gray stripes, black, etc. all very professional looking. It is hard to find tall pants though for women though.
    Walmart actually carries them for under $21 a pair. A dark gray or black will go with just about anything.
    It is hard to find long sleeves shirts for women. If you have a Burlington Coat factory, sometimes you can find them there. i got a gray striped and black striped (very thin stripes) button shirt that fits at the hip and is wider there and they look nice.
    It is really hard to find decent clothes though that are not sleeveless or pants that are cropped for women.
    Try thrift shops or Junior League sales, etc. I got some really nice bargains there.. skirt for fifty cents, shirts - as many as i could put in a shopping back for $2. and all were like new.