Desensitizating to leg

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BipolarHonor, Dec 18, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I would do more on the mounting block with her, if she's okay with THINGS, it seems she's more reactive with the people aspect. Someone hold her on the ground at the block and just have hubby stand on it and lean over her back and start with rubbing his hands and then arms over her barrel progress to tapping, hugging, etc. Worth a shot to see if she reacts the same and then try with mounting up? Obviously not all in one session.

bellalou likes this.
  2. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

I would treat her for ulcers, feed some soaked alfalfa cubes before working g her,saddle on,no rider ,let the fenders and stirrups flap around,round pen or lunge line.
    Let her figure out how to deal with it rather than teaching her to deal with it.

3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

From the sounds of it she is fine with everything but people so far. At some point you HAVE to add the feel of the human and teach her to deal with it if other things to simulate it aren’t doing the trick.

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Are you sure she's not in pain somewhere? The fact that she's good with stuff flapping all around her without a rider but bucks when a rider gets on and asks her to move really screams pain to me.

Bella's go-to when she is in pain is to refuse to go forward and if you push, she'll buck. I initially read it as behavioral and/or not understanding my cues but it became clear that it was a pain issue (saddle fit in her case).

The fact that your horse reacts like that when a rider puts a leg on makes me wonder about pain. Maybe you've checked everything but I'd be checking chiro, saddle fit, and possible ulcers for sure.