Desensitizating to leg

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BipolarHonor, Dec 18, 2018.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

Exactly like it says. We are in the process of breaking my 3 almost 4 yr old filly. Ground work is done and good. she takes a rider. I was on her once. Took a little to get her comfortable with me getting on but once I was on she was fine and we walked a few laps. A few days later I found out I was pregnant so obviously me continuing her training didnt happen and she went a few months without a rider because my husbands work schedule didnt allow for him to help me. Fast forward to the other week we got him on her. It took some time and a bucking fit when his leg touched her while mounting but once we got him on she was fine. But she is so sensitive about our legs touching her. I can touch her all over with anything but she doesnt like our leg. I'm not talking us squeezing her I'm talking if we even lightly tap to encourage her forward she reacts. What can I do to get her over this once I can get on her again? She is smart and once or twice and she knows it and we don't have an issue but she is also opinionated and when she doesnt like something she is a bucker

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

She has not the faintest idea that this light tap of the leg is supposed to mean "forward" What the various types of aids you can give are requesting of her is something you need to teach the green horse.

Puddincup likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Rub your legs over her sides while rubbing her neck, talking to her and giving her some food. Make sure she wears a blanket, put a saddle pad on her back with a surcingle holding it, on, etc.

4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

How does she react to flopping the stirrups and fenders as part of the groundwork? When you touch her sides from the ground to get her to move from pressure, how does she handle it? Lunging her with saddle on and stirrups moving?

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Was she fine with your legs touching her when you were on her? Your OP seems to indicate that, as you're post makes it seem like this is a new thing.

If it's new, then go back and desensitize like you did prior to sitting on her. Lunging with stirrups moving, touching her, instilling a good "Halt" or "Whoa" is always helpful.

I'd also be looking into ulcers or anything else. Is this mare also girthy/cinchy when you girth/cinch her up? If she is, that's where you start.

Straight up, in my opinion, if a horse bucks when something new is introduced, then we have failed them. Failed to prepare them properly for what we are about to ask. Basically failed to set them up for success. If the horse bucks out of pain after increasingly telling you "no" then again, we've failed to listen.

Tige Ress, bellalou, billz and 4 others like this.
  6. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

You need to teach her what legs mean but on the ground. Ideally, take a crop and tap on the side and say “Walk on”, kiss, or whatever.

7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Is she on Magnesium? Might help to take the edge off so shes doesn't over react and is able to absorb the training.

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I agree she might have ulcers and adding magnesium could help also, if no ulcers.

RG NIGHT HEIR likes this.
  9. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

she is good with the saddle flapping and all of that. I can tap and rub her all over with anything (lunge whip, plastic bags, the stirrups, etc) i'll try the crop and other suggestions once I get this baby out and can work with her more maybe add some linedriving to add the lines rubbing on her side to another thing for her to get use to. its hard trying to fix her from the ground with my husband in the saddle.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

What groundwork have you done before saddle work? You teach moving off leg from the ground when you teach them to pivot, cross over behind.