Death from Quest Wormer?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by cathrynxox, Aug 22, 2015.

1. cathrynxox

cathrynxox Senior Member

This popped up in my newsfeed today:

And a statement from the owner:

"On the evening of Aug. 3, 2015... I gave our 14 month old colt, BOGO.. a 200 pound dose of Quest gel wormer. He immediately walked off from his food and went to eating hay. The next morning I could tell he felt bad, but couldn't pin point why. A hour later I could hear him splashing in the pond. I found him staggering like he was drugged. His temp was 105.3. I immediately called the Vet. Meds didn't bring his temp down. I had to give him a alcohol bath.

Vet came out...drew blood and sent to A&M. He thought he had EEE....The next day I watched him go down hill fast. At one point he collapsed. Our Vet came back out and had to put him down. His EEE test came back negative...So they tested for West Nile...It was also negative. I said from the first it was a reaction to the wormer..I don't think him being sick the next morning was coincidence. I have since done some research on Quest wormer....The reports of horses that have died or gotten sick after being dosed...makes me believe even more there is a connection.

I have contacted the number on Quest, where you report a adverse drug reaction. Talked with a Vet there. She is contacting my Vet to see if there is enough of Bogo's blood sample left to do some more testing. He was a beautiful, perfectly healthy colt.

He was not overdosed....He had been wormed before, with other wormers...and had had 2 fecals done in the past. Do I think every horse will have a reaction to Quest???? NO, but after loosing him within 24 hours of worming...and no other explanation....You can bet there will never be another tube of it on my place! Feel free to share...Maybe it will save another horse!!!"

Anyone have any information on the accuracy of these "accusations"? Has anyone had a similar experience?

2. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Quest is noted for not being safe to use in Mini's and there are lots of documented cases of the adverse reactions in minis.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member

Which accusations in particular are you talking about? The lost foals, etc? The lost foals issue wasn't linked to moxidectin and in fact in many cases was linked to a catepillar that was in pastures in huge numbers that year and caused abortions. The issues with minis and foals, had to do with an inability to dose accurately and the fact that the amount of body fat present is very important to safe administration of moxidectin.

With ivermectin, and therefore likely with quest since they are in the same class of drug, it is possible to see toxicity even with a normal dose if the horse has been eating certain plants. And while many people will try to say that horses simply won't eat plants like silverleaf nightshade, that old wives tale has been proven wrong.

Where the protective barrier around the central nervous system is compromised through injury, disease or the result of genetics, it would also be possible to see neurotoxicity even at normal doses.

There is always that possibility that a horse will react to a drug. The risks are low when used correctly, but they are still there. This is why it's important to follow the labels, know the signs of adverse reaction and to ensure that horses are healthy before administering any medication.

4. joce

joce Senior Member

Just like with people horses can have reactions. They can be deadly.

I read through comments on the video on Facebook and their was a death attributed to every wormer ever made plus food and fly spray!

Research and go by your experience and what you think is the best. Talk to your vet if you trust them lol.

Had a fellow boarder whose horse collicked after eating an apple one night after getting an apple every night for years. So he said he was allergic to apples. Forgot to mention he was worked hard and thrown in the stall with his grain and sucked down a couple buckets of water. Could have had something to do with it.

5. TLFC

TLFC Senior Member

We are only presented with one side of the story. Yes, the loss of the colt is sad, but could it have been prevented? Was it just coincidence that colt presented symptoms after being wormed? I hope that she chose to do a necropsy and will hopefully get some answers as to what went wrong.

Varisha, Charliemyheart and JBandRio like this.
  6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

I know that Zoetis is involved and doing additional testing for everything under the sun, including EPM. Because of the potential however slight risk of interaction with the macrycyclic drugs and EPM horses, it's recommended to not use them unless necessary due to the *potential* of causing a relapse. I have known more than a few recovered EPM horses who have no trouble with either of those dewormers though.

This topic is so frustrating, because it fear-mongers and it drives people to hysteria before they even think about investigating actual facts Threads fill with "I heard!" and "I've used this for years but never again!" and much more. I've pointed out SEVERAL times that ivermectin has very rarely crossed the blood-brain barrier and killed, as well as made very ill, more than a few horses over the years, but somehow that just seems to fly right over everyone's heads :(

I know horses who are quite allergic to fenbendazole, pyrantel pamoate, and/or oxibendazole - crickets :|

People obviously don't read the list of *possible* adverse reactions to any of these chemicals/drugs they routinely give their horses. If they did, they'd have a total meltdown LOL

Then someone tried to say "how interesting that Zoetis also makes the Hendra vaccine which is implicated in countless deaths now". They conveniently forget (or don't care to see) that Zoetis also makes dormosedan, Clavamox (a very common feline abx), and other products that are VERY routinely used. Everyone just wants to make the smallest connections and blame everything and everyone, instead of just making the common sense connection that you cannot possibly kill these parasites and fungi and bacteria and viruses, without the POTENTIAL to also cause harm to the host. The vast majority of these drugs are on the market because they have a proven history of only very rarely causing serious harm, but then everyone seems to forget how many countless lives have been saved due to those same drugs.

*le sigh*

7. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

Fear mongering is all it is.

My mom breaks out in hives when she take Penislin, my own heart races, I knew a guy in high school who claimed if he took it he would stop breathing.

Should we outlaw a important drug because of that?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I use Quest every year in rotation and always will. I actually credit it with saving a horse's life. I had a colt given to us who had just been wormed with Ivermectin. He was loaded with strongyles. He had projectile diarrhea, colicky and toxic. Even though he was very sick, the vet gave him Quest Plus. He immediately got better, and his intestine was saved from further trama.

I have seen a horse die from maple leaf poisoning look just like the colt in the OP. It actually could've been caused from a number of things, but I know some people won't touch Quest just from the media hype. I have 8 horses and a donkey who have been just fine for years.

Varisha, JBandRio and Charliemyheart like this.
  9. sherian

sherian Senior Member

one year when I lived in Ontario there was a news report on a "plague of mysterious deaths" of horses in a municipality. There was panicked calls by the hundreds to the vet clinic I worked at the time - people blamed mutated virus, contaminated feed, hay, dewormer you name it. Turned out in the end all of the deaths were unremarkable in cause and statistically the number of deaths was normal for the horse population of the area.
    Easy to blame the dewormer, but it could be a hell of a lot of different causes - I had a pony die with classic neurolgical symptoms following a very mild colic - turned out it was a ruptured artery in his gut that turned septic.

10. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

I read an article earlier this week that was talking about the neuro symptoms people were linking to Quest. Said it had something to do with the worms borrowing into the spine and then being killed off by the wormer. I'm going to try and find it again