Dear FEI.. It is time for a revolution

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by icelandic_welsh, Aug 9, 2017.

1. icelandic_welsh

icelandic_welsh Registered

I am not surprised that a lot of equipment is ruled OUT for competitions, but I am surprised how much equipment is REQUIRED. Why?

There already is some discussion about allowing some different bitless bridles in the lower classes of the dressage competitions, but I believe that the FEI and other organisations, like the KNHS in my country, underestimate the amount of people that ride bitless, with a halter or only with a neckrope. More and more people want to switch to bit- or bridleless riding, it is getting more popular over time and it is unavoidable. Especially because horse friendliness and welfare are getting more important. So why not give people a choice whether they want to ride with a bit, bitless or bridleless. And I am not only talking about dressage but also about show jumping, reining, eventing, driving, horseball, vaulting etc. Why not? Because bitless riders have no chance of winning? Because it is new and many people don’t understand it? Or is it because people think it is dangerous, because you can not control a horse bit- or bridleless more than with a bit.

People who believe that you can not control a horse bit- or bridleless the same way as you do with a bit need to wake up and face the facts. Riding horses is a dangerous sport, if you are scared to get injured or to fall you should not get close to a horse because when a horse gets scared or does not like it there is no bit or bridle that will stop him. There are so many people out there, including myself, who can ride with only a neckrope on a high level and can ride their horses safely through a city, just on a neckrope or on a halter. Safety is not an issue so why not let them compete together with the other riders, who ride with a bit. You are going to be stunned by the amazing things people can do with their horses without using bits, spurs and other equipment.

Allowing people to choose whether they want to ride with a bit or without is probably the best option and the best choice you can make as an organisation. I would love to see more people riding grand prix on a rope halter or a neckrope in the future, who doesn’t? Doesn’t it make riding more special? It does not only raise the bar for the ones who are ready to take on a new challenge but it also invites a lot more people who are only able to ride bitless with their horse to compete alongside the others.

Do not underestimate the people who ride bit or bridleless. We can do the same as the people who ride with a bit and we are going to show it when we get the chance too. So please give us a chance to. I, and so many others are waiting for the opportunity to show the hidden side of riding. The art of riding in freedom, and we are waiting to compete alongside the others.

I sure hope that things will change, and I want to be a part of it. My goal now is to show people who told my riding with a neckrope or halter is not serious (or dangerous) riding, that we absolutely can ride serious and awesome without that required equipment. In the future I want to see people competing with rope halters, bitless bridles and neckropes alongside the people who ride with a bit. I want to start and be a part of that revolution, do you?

If you want to support this, please sign the petition!

Dear FEI.. It is time for a revolution

Iris Weijenberg

DunsNPallys likes this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

[​IMG]

If you want to compete in something specific, then ride in the tack that the discipline requires. Ride your horse bitless at home as much as you want to, but it ought be able to go just as well if not better in whatever bit is needed also. If it can't, it's not as well trained as you think it is.

3. icelandic_welsh

icelandic_welsh Registered

I don't see the problem, their are so many people who are against bitless riders. I CAN ride with a bit but I don't want to, and why can't I compete without? And I am not the only one who wants to compete bitless. I do not understand why people like yourself are so against it, if you want to ride with a bit OK that's totally fine with me. I want to ride on a halter or neckrope. And do not say that my horse isn't well trained because I prefer riding bitless. I ride bitless because it is my choice and I think that there is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. Ghostrider58

Ghostrider58 Senior Member

Dressage is all about riding in harmony with the horse between leg and hand, which means advanced skill sets. Riding bitless you're simply not going to have the finesse a bitted rider does. You can argue all day about that, but it's true.

You can't change the rules of a tradition just because YOU want it. You want to play in their arena, you do things the way they have set out in the rules and regulations.

I ride bitless as well as bitted. I'm also an English-only rider. It would be like me demanding WP has to let me join and ride in my English tack, because I expect them to change the rules to suit me. Yeah, no.

Either play the game their way, or don't play at all.

5. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member

I got one other suggestion to add to Ghostrider58's list, start your own game. Spend your own money and time to promote a similar show and change the rules to suit your desires.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Yes, you start a Bitless Show in your country where all the disciplines are done bitless. If that goes over well, it can spread from your country to others and there ya go.

7. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Because it's a competition and all competitions have rules. I don't want to ride a 5yr old + western pleasure horse in a curb in a class...but I do because that's the rules. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should be allowed to do so. Bitless classes are becoming more popular in AQHA in the US, I can't speak for elsewhere or other circuits. Rules are rules are rules. I know that there is this huge "bitless" craze right now, it's a trend. ESPECIALLY on social media.

Judging by the bold statement I can already tell you're not going to like this forum.

8. bsaz

bsaz Senior Member

What you do at home is your business. What an organization allows you to do at their shows and competitions involves the organization and their insurers. Someone hosting a show has a duty to participants AND attendees to take reasonable safety precautions. I would consider requiring bits to be a standard safety precaution where excited horses are involved. Failure to do so could be considered negligence and open the organization and its insurers to large judgments.

If a horse totally loses its mind, then you are right - a bit won't help. I know a lady who gave up riding over 30 years ago when her scared horse ran full speed into a wall. Killed the horse & hurt her badly, and she hasn't stepped near a horse since. But MOST bolts involve a level of fear below 100% blown mind. A bit can definitely make it easier to regain control. There are a variety of bits and a variety of techniques, but if I have to be on a bolting horse, I'd rather be on a bolting horse with a bit.

I ride bitless sometimes. I suspect many on the forum do. I don't do it very often outside the arena. I typically use a curb bit with slack in the reins. I think that is gentler than the average bitless bridle, but I also have a bit there if I need it. If I was organizing a show with 100 horses I had never met, ridden by 100 riders I had never met, and attended by who knows how many people who were seeing a horse for the first time...I'd require all horses to be ridden in bits.

If you wants to set things up differently, that is your business. And your insurer's.

kodemiester, Sam C., JStorry and 6 others like this.
  9. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

You can compete in show jumping without a bit, so take it off your list.
    Plenty of people ride without a bit or with a neck rope. Friend of mine does stick and ball with my mare in just a neck rope.

The thing is as wonderful as your bond with your horse is, or however well your horse is trained they are still a horse. At shows it's a different environment than at home, what if something should happen and you can not deal with your horse in just a neck rope? Someone else, their horse, you and your horse could be injured because all you have is a rope around its neck. Don't get me wrong I don't use my bit as a bully control force, but should sh*t really hit the fan, I can control my animal a bit more better with a bit than just a neck rope and maybe save myself or another rider in the process.
    If you want to go bitless fund a class but just because I want to enter Grand Prix dressage in my jumping saddle doesn't mean I will be allowed no matter how much I scream discrimination.

MzCarol, Larkspade, Sam C. and 4 others like this.
  10. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Keep in mind the OP is only 16..