Featured Dead horse at Clinton Anderson from training???? Anyone know about this?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by meljean, Mar 27, 2013.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member+

Someone has said that they had a horse that was at Clinton Anderson's in TX, that they had been warned "horses die in this program", and that their horse had been left out to "low graze"? Apparently on tie rope, and when student came back to get horse it was dead.

Clinton told owner that "horse could have fallen and broke neck, aneurysm, heart attack".

Owner said was told it happened so fast did not think colic, and that an autopsy would not be able to give COD. And that autopsy would have cost thousands of dollars? So none was done.

Horse is buried there in TX.

Said Clinton warned them several times that "horses die in this program".

Has anyone heard about anything like this, they are sharing the story of what happened to their horse.

2. Cara

Cara Senior Member+

Clinton himself said horses die in his program? Sounds like gossip to me. I don't know of any trainer who would say that about their own program.

I'm not saying either way if what happened was somebody's fault or not, but this does sound a lot like gossip and hearsay. What are your sources?

I wouldn't condemn a trainer just because a horse died under their "supervision", etc. Things do happen. Sick horses, injured horses, etc. I'd need to know FACTS before I started judging.

3. tata77

tata77 Senior Member+

I wish an autopsy had been done. That would have given quite a bit of information. Odd that Clinton himself would say horses die in his program, unless he means by accident (sudden health issue, bad fall, pasture accident, etc.).

4 people like this.
  4. Laffee Taffee

Laffee Taffee Senior Member+

I would assume in an area where many horses are gathered together and lots of distractions and noises are taking place that accidents will happen and horses can be injured or killed. There really is no telling what happened to the horse, they said the horse was tied and grazing? Assuming the horse was not very well trained and left by himself, anything could have startled the horse and sent the horse into a panic. The horse could have hit his head and died, or fallen over and thrashed and caused internal bleeding, or any number of things. I think it's wise of Clinton Anderson that he warns people that horses can be injured or killed during clinics or training. I can't even imagine the hate he would get if he just didn't say anything, or claimed that it is all perfectly safe.

2 people like this.
  5. tvfarm

tvfarm Auto Banned

Sounds like a fish tale.
    1. Necropsies do not cost thousands of dollars. here it cost $100. The state labs do it. Easy enough to check out.
    2. horses die everyday without explaination. Even horses that appear to be perfecly healthy.

Any horse of value or suspicious death should have a necropcy.
    It would stop this kind of gossip.

I am sure the owners are upset that they lost a horse.
    I am also sure that Clinton Anderson is upset that they lost a horse.
    Tragic but not something to start a rumor mill.

6. meljean

meljean Senior Member+

Owner is the one that wrote it. There are enough experienced horse people on this forum that if this has happened before, someone will more than likely know, which is why I am asking.

And people "gossiped" for years about Shirley Roth, and Cleve Wells, as well as others, and in the end, those rumors were found to be true.

7 people like this.
  7. Banat

Banat Senior Member+

Horses die. **** happens.

I don't know of a training barn that hasn't lost horses. It's inevitable. It's kept quiet because people want to gossip and condemn even when there is no negligence or malice. From what I've seen of Clinton Anderson I wouldn't call him dangerous by any means.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    4 people like this.
  8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member+

It's really not fair to not have an autopsy done and then complain and spread rumors around the Internet. Shame on all involved IMO

14 people like this.
  9. RODEOSASK

RODEOSASK Senior Member+

I just don't think from a legal stand point that Someone like Clinton would straight up say "horses die in my program". His business is multi million I'm sure. So I don't think he would so casually drop that statement.

Fact is, no one knows what happened. ( or is willing to say ) so we best wait patiently for a statement from DUH which I'm sure is being brewed right now.

10. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member+

Some of you have already seen these quotes pulled from the facebook page of the horse's owner, but I'll repost them here for people who are not on my facebook.

From the owner of the horse, a 16.2hh 6 yr old Friesian:

#2:
    And a quote from one of my "oldschool" cowboy buddies about what "tying low" is (because I was like ??? and some other people thought they meant the typical hobble):

*No one knows if ^that version of "tying low" is the one Clinton allegedly indicated to the horse's owner.

Horse's owner has not stated why the horse was at Clinton's, if he had any specific issues already or where he was at in terms of progress, or how long he'd been there (that I recall... my brain is fuzzy tonight).