Dangerous Studs (now geldings) and improper fences #3

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by QuarterHorseMomma, Apr 30, 2017.

?

Is there some way to go over the heads of our Animal Control and actually get some results?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Full Member

Ok guys you may remember my posts a while back
    Dangerous Studs & Improper Fences
    Also
    Dangerous Studs & Improper Fences #2

The neighbor refuses to fix her fence. We took her to court and won our vet bills and also the damages to our property. When she came home she nailed a single 2x4 between each set of trees. And she had them gelded. However the problem isn't that they were studs. It's that they have 0 manners or boundaries. That and her fence is non existing. Well today they got out again. I watched them almost caused 2 wrecks, run through our elderly neighbors garden he worked so hard on and try yet again to get in our yard. I called her phone 10-12 times. I call the cops. They call animal control and inform us a neighbor got in touch with her and her words were that she was at the beach and was not coming home to deal with the problem. Animal control tells us all they can do is write tickets (this has been going on for 10 years) tickets fix nothing. They say they can't seize the horses because they don't even have a horse or livestock trailer and don't have a contract with a facility to keep the horses. My question is if my County won't do anything what else is there to do???
    I know I have the right to defend my property and yes if it comes down to them hurting my mares sadly I will put them down but it's honestly not their fault their owners a idiot.

Putting another fence up is NOT a option.
    I rent from family and have to Ok everything with them. I've already put up a second fence and that wasn't appealing to the eye as its electric they don't want another fence put up... so I have my hands tied... I can't move quite yet so that's not a option either.

20170430_105735.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Fix your fence so they can't get in, then.

Here's the scenario:

1.) No one is going to do anything about it. Neither the owner nor the law
    2.) That leaves you.
    3.) Your fence is not adequate. Hot wire it and get a decent top rail on it. It needs to be solider, higher, and hotter.

If it's inadequate to keep other horses out, it's inadequate to keep yours in on the right day, AND inadequate to keep out predators too. So fix it.

You need a physical barrier as well as a psychological barrier. That means you need a solid fence all the way around your property, and to electrify it with a good quality fence charger and a very good ground rod system. I have 4 copper rods struck in ground that's wet all year and five strands of elecrobraid to six feet, and three boards on 4 inch pt posts with big huge pt corner posts sunk in concrete and braced with 4'' horizontal posts secured with 6" pins. The fence packs one heck of a wallop. Nothing gets in and nothing gets out.

You don't have to go that far, but pretty close to it.

If no one is going to do anything and your fence is not adequate to keep them out, after 10 years, it's time to stop being stubborn. The handwriting is on the wall. The situation is not going to change - fix your fence and stop griping about what others should do because they're not going to do it and no one is going to make them do it.

If you had a horse that wanted to get out, your fence is just as inadequate at doing that as it is as keeping the neighbor horses out. Fix it. Again, ten years, no one is going to fix her fence. Fix yours. That's life. It's not always fair. But you owe it to your horses to fix your fence.

3. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

I guess as a last resort I would put electric up around your property. Get a good fence charger that will put out a good "bite"

In my area the sheriff would impound the horses if the owner didn't come when they are on the road, and in my area you can "hold" a stray and charge board until the owner comes for it.

But I would just keep them out of my property by making sure my fence is tall enough, strong enough and gates closed, always.

4. QuarterHorseMomma

I rent from family and have to Ok everything with them. I've already put up a second fence and that wasn't appealing to the eye as its electric they don't want another put up... so I have my hands tied... I can't move quite yet so that's not a option either.

5. touchofdandy

touchofdandy Senior Member

The people that were almost involved in wrecks because of the horses should have called the police. Animal control should get the horses if they pose a threat to causing wrecks on a road. I don't get why they won't do anything. Has the other people called in about them as well? I bet if they caused a wreck and the owner got sued for multiple thousands of dollars they would either get rid of them or replace the 'fence'.

Varisha, VermilionStrife and secuono like this.
  6. QuarterHorseMomma

I rent from family and have to Ok everything with them. I've already put up a second fence and that wasn't appealing to the eye as its electric they don't want another put up... so I have my hands tied... I can't move quite yet so that's not a option either.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

I'm sure that an effective, appealing fence can be designed, and I don't think your hands are as tied as you insist they are. Perhaps you're still expecting someone else to pay for an acceptable fence?

That chainlink in itself is an eyesore so their response is ironic if they want an aesthetically pleasing fence. Electric fences are only ugly when they are just wire and tposts. A fence that incorporates boards and posts and electric can be very appealing. But slightly more costly.

We're putting a 4 board fence across the front of our property. I get complements on the design all the time.

Look. They aren't going to fix it and the law isn't going to make them. Come up with a design your family accepts and resolve the issue before one of your mares gets badly hurt. If you can't put up a fence, then move your horses to a boarding barn.

firegurl979 likes this.
  8. QuarterHorseMomma

Well when I am told no then no means no. My fencing is NOT the problem. So not sure why we are even discussing it. I asked about another way around animal control and how to get something done about the problem. My fence isn't the problem.

Varisha, Breezah and Amarea like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

LOL. You keep saying that. But it's not true. You're awful stubborn. Think about it AGAIN. Review the facts of the case. TEN YEARS. SHE HASN'T FIXED HER FENCE. LAW WON'T MAKE HER. How EXACTLY do you propose to get her to fix her fence? You haven't been able to in ten years!

And your fence, sorry, it IS inadequate. Just look at it.

Look. Either get a fence up that your relatives agree to or move your horses to another barn. For 10 years you've been insisting it's not your problem and that means the problem has gone on and on. Every single day of this YOUR horses are in danger. So far you've been lucky. Your first responsibility is to your HORSES, not your 'rights' and 'it's their fault'.

How much are your 'rights' and your blaming someone else really worth in this situation? Nothing.

aFlamingAngel likes this.
  10. QuarterHorseMomma

Lol I have 4 strand electric fence. It's adequate. Secondly it hasn't been my problem for 10 years. It's been my problem for 1. My family has been dealing with them for 10 years. I moved horses here last year. We plan to move next year so no I can't tell my family what I am or am not going to do on their property. Moving my horses won't fix anything they'll still come in our yard. Lastly nobody asked you about your opinion on my fence. My horses and my fencing isn't the problem the problem is her, her horses and her lack of a fence.