Dangerous Studs and Improper Fences #2

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by QuarterHorseMomma, Dec 18, 2016.

1. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Full Member

Ok
    1. I have 2 fences to contain my horse. I had to do this because of her horse.
    2. We have no tresspassing signs around the whole property 50ft apart. The law here only requires them to be every 100ft.
    3. We have not one but 2 automatic gates in our yard. Both now not working like they should because of her ignorance.
    4. I tried to contact her by phone she won't answer.
    5. I tried to contact her in person either she's home and won't answer the door or she isn't home.
    6. I had a friend of hers ask her to call me about the situation. The lady messaged me back with screen shots of what she told her. She said and I quote "I work in retail, so I'm working a lot of hours right now, since it is the holiday season. I want to know if this could possibly wait until after now years, and I'll be happy to discuss it with you then. But until then stop calling me or coming by my house"
    7. Her eldest daughter messaged me nasty nasty things then I guess got scared and apologized for it and tried saying it's because her mom and dad are going through a divorce and she's upset. (NOTE: They got a divorce over 2 years ago as I know her ex husband very well) however she wanted me to feel bad. Then goes on to say her mother will call me when she got off work yesterday. Never got the call.
    8. I've sent the last letter and now we are going to court. I'm tired of not only being responsible for my horse (who doesn't destroy fences and doesn't jump fences) and her two studs that are just horribly behaved.

Varisha likes this.
  2. CrossMeOut

CrossMeOut Senior Member

Hook up 110 to your outside fence. It can easily be done. Don't touch it or let your animals near it. It will only take once. No, it wont kill the horse. I would make my gates hot also. As long as the gate is not grounded the whole gate can be made hot and you can not tell until you touch it. That would easily keep her from ever opening it again. Don't use 110 for the gates.

Nyhia and Mirage like this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Yeah, do that.. and video it. LOL

4. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Full Member

Lol I can't because it's a solid state fence and connects around my property and also my cousins with just a dividing wire down the middle.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The video can be used as evidence when the OP gets arrested for assault when the mailman, neighbor kid, or UPS guy gets zapped...... but at least then she would have a public defender that's paid for by the state to represent her.

6. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

I would protect my mares as priority one.

That means putting extensions on MY fence: fiberglass rod or metal re-rod or whatever to make it 7 ft tall and put 2 of the white polywire hot wires up there. Make sure the fence is HOT.

If the stallions go through that your fencer is not hot enough: find a cattle farmer nearby with high tensile who has bulls in his pasture and find out what he is using to contain his stock. get that and string your wire properly so it is HOT.

No, they are not going to jump 7' fences.

I would still go after her for trespass and property damage: You will need actual invoices to submit to verify your damage. Bill for the cost of fencing, too.

Small claims court should take care of getting a judgement, but you will need to follow up and deliver that to her workplace to have wages garnished.
    If you do garnishment the employer must forward funds to you.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Everything I've read, and everything everyone's ever told me about fence...says not to hook up 110 to an electric fence.

I've been told for years that if there is a problem with electric fence, most likely the ground is not set up properly.

What I've found is that many people have only a single line, it's often at a very low height, and various things are touching it and interfering with its effectiveness.

So grounds aren't the only problem. But if a horse is frequently going through your fence, something is a problem.

Legally, of course, it's the stallion owner's 'responsibility', but the bottom line is that very often if you want to get something fixed immediately, the best way to do it is to fix it yourself. Plus if a stallion can get in, your mares eventually will get out.

8. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Possibly stupid Q, what is "110"?
    I'm thinking it's not an energizer, but the house electrical?? That can't be legal, so probably not it.
    I know out west, there are energizers that do not pulse and are always hot, and crazy hot at that. But they can be dangerous to all living things.

If a horse trespasses and is hounding your animals, is it legal to shoot it like with dogs? Or can you only use peaceful means?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

If you are going to do something illegal, next time they show up on your property, I would call the vet out immediately and have them gelded, THEN send them home.

You could of course, be sued.

10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

110 is what you get when you stick a fork in a light socket...

secuono and Alsosusieq2 like this.