1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Dangerous Studs and Improper Fences #2

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by QuarterHorseMomma, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's probably a good idea if they'd come Kristal. She'd have to bail them out and face consequences. I know it'd be easier to build a new fence, but that is tremendously expensive and time consuming. I don't know what I'd do.

2. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Full Member

I have a 4ft fence with electric wire across the top 3 - 4 ft off of our property line. Then 15ft inside of the fence is yet another 4 ft fence with electric fence on that also using a 100 mile box. My mare doesn't get out and doesn't push on the fence. Her stallions walk over her literally 2 ft tall fence that she literally has to bend down to prove that it's still intact. Come on our property and jump both of our fences. I recently installed the second fence to try to compensate for her lack of responsibility but it's not working and I'm out of $300.00+ now I'm having to foot a vet bill. I've don't MORE than my part to ensure my mare is safe and contained. We have no tresspassing signs every 50ft and the law states they need to be every 100ft. I have a pen waiting until he returns if I'm home. But the fact is I wasn't home and she trespassed and damaged our property. Never wanted to tell me and when I try to contact her she refuses to answer the door, phone or isn't home. I have a friend of herror tell her to call me which she replies that she's to busy and I needed to wait until after the new year then she could talk to me. I'm done

3. QuarterHorseMomma

I have a 4ft fence with electric wire across the top 3 - 4 ft off of our property line. Then 15ft inside of the fence is yet another 4 ft fence with electric fence on that also using a 100 mile box. My mare doesn't get out and doesn't push on the fence. Her stallions walk over her literally 2 ft tall fence that she literally has to bend down to prove that it's still intact. Come on our property and jump both of our fences. I recently installed the second fence to try to compensate for her lack of responsibility but it's not working and I'm out of $300.00+ now I'm having to foot a vet bill. I've don't MORE than my part to ensure my mare is safe and contained. We have no tresspassing signs every 50ft and the law states they need to be every 100ft. I have a pen waiting until he returns if I'm home. But the fact is I wasn't home and she trespassed and damaged our property. Never wanted to tell me and when I try to contact her she refuses to answer the door, phone or isn't home. I have a friend of herror tell her to call me which she replies that she's to busy and I needed to wait until after the new year then she could talk to me. I'm done

4. QuarterHorseMomma

I have a 4ft fence with electric wire across the top 3 - 4 ft off of our property line. Then 15ft inside of the fence is yet another 4 ft fence with electric fence on that also using a 100 mile box. My mare doesn't get out and doesn't push on the fence. Her stallions walk over her literally 2 ft tall fence that she literally has to bend down to prove that it's still intact. Come on our property and jump both of our fences. I recently installed the second fence to try to compensate for her lack of responsibility but it's not working and I'm out of $300.00+ now I'm having to foot a vet bill. I've don't MORE than my part to ensure my mare is safe and contained. We have no tresspassing signs every 50ft and the law states they need to be every 100ft. I have a pen waiting until he returns if I'm home. But the fact is I wasn't home and she trespassed and damaged our property. Never wanted to tell me and when I try to contact her she refuses to answer the door, phone or isn't home. I have a friend of herror tell her to call me which she replies that she's to busy and I needed to wait until after the new year then she could talk to me. I'm done. I've mailed out a certified letter stating if I catch her horse she is to pay all damages and all maintenance and care (emergency or routine) her horse receives in my career before he will be turned back over to her.

Varisha likes this.
  5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

The burden of keeping a stallion properly restrained falls to the stallion owner, NOT a mare owner. A lot of places have specific laws that will say what fencing requirements have to be fulfilled to house a stud. Do people follow them? No. Lol Should they? YES.

Is there a way to sue for lawyer fees on top of it, since this is a matter that should not have to go into the court system? (forgive me, I'm not a lawyer and haven't had to utilize the court system for anything for myself.)

Varisha and bellalou like this.
  6. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Honestly, if you have NOT sent letter yet, don't.

What you write, can be used to trip you up in court.

Go to a lawyer that can handle this. And that way everything will be documented by that attorney.

Let them handle it would be my thoughts. And you don't do anything further. Anything you do, such as this letter, looks weak in my opinion, this moron is obviously someone that is not scared of the law at all, and you are going to accomplish nothing by sending this letter. Dealt with too many like this in my life, and they are used to people doing nothing but threatening.

Stop playing around, and go after her with an attorney.

D_BaldStockings and walktrot like this.
  7. QuarterHorseMomma

I'm not taking a lawyer. I have however consulted my lawyer.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Unfortunately this is not anout you being a reasonable person, this is about trying to recover losses and change the behaviors in an unreasonable person. Even though you are the one in the right it, this can turn into a battle that will financially destroy you and even if you get a judgement you may never collect it, and even if you do collect it if animal control does not seize the stallions, legally force a gelding of them, or force the owner to build pens or forfeit the horses the problem won't go away.

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

It is extremely difficult to force someone to do anything. If the neighbor has been procrastinating because they don't have the finances, (which is a terrible reason, because if you can't build the fence you shouldn't have the horses, you and I know this) then suing for her to pay for anything will likely not result in much money for the op.
    Court costs money, all this letter writing and such the op is doing cost's time and energy.
    Of course it is not OP''s responsibility to build another fence!
    But it will probably fix the problem both quicker and cheaper than what she is planning to do.

This exactly.

10. QuarterHorseMomma

I have a 4ft fence with electric wire across the top 3 - 4 ft off of our property line. Then 15ft inside of the fence is yet another 4 ft fence with electric fence on that also using a 100 mile box. My mare doesn't get out and doesn't push on the fence. Her stallions walk over her literally 2 ft tall fence that she literally has to bend down to prove that it's still intact. Come on our property and jump both of our fences. I recently installed the second fence to try to compensate for her lack of responsibility but it's not working and I'm out of $300.00+ now I'm having to foot a vet bill. I've don't MORE than my part to ensure my mare is safe and contained. We have no tresspassingsigns every 50ft and the law states they need to be every 100ft. I have a penwaiting until he returns if I'm home. Butthe fact is I wasn't home and shetrespassed and damaged our property. Never wanted to tell me and when I try to contact her she refuses to answerthe door, phone or isn't home.