Dale Chavez saddles

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by DoWeDance, Jul 13, 2010.

1. DoWeDance

DoWeDance Senior Member+

I am looking for a show saddle (pleasure, all around events). I want to buy one used, and I want it to be really good quality - something that's going to last for years. I have priced the Blue Ribbons and the Harrises, but anything in my price range - under 2,000 - is 20 years old or has no silver. I noticed the Dale Chavez saddles are selling for a lot less. I have found a few 2009s for less than $2,000. What's the general consensus on their quality? I'm guessing they are middle of the road?

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I have a friend who loves hers.

I don't think they're all that comfortable, but to each their own.

They don't seem to hold their value very well. It kind of seems that the silver on them is not as high quality as it used to be.

3. copey

copey Senior Member

I love mine! I bought it for $1499 with sterling silver, tooling, custom tree, the works. It is the best (most showiest) saddle I've ever bought, yet comfortable enough for hours of trail riding. Hope you choose to own one. Worthy investment.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member

I HATED mine (like passionate dislike). Like back pain and everything...Like when I tried to do horsemanship in it I swear it worked against my position rather than helped it. My Harris now ... gaaaaah its love.

Dale Chavez's do not hold their value at all.

Btw sometimes a nice Harris or Blue Ribbon without silver actually looks extremely nice =)

Also I know there are a few people who really like their Billy Cook's, but theres like one line that people hate or something. And I have a reining Reinsmen I'm in love with, but I can't speak for their show saddles. And I've heard good things about Bob's but again never tried them for myself.

Can you get to the congress? You can find saddles for steals! That's how I got mine =)

However, if its all you can afford its better than going with a cheaper brand. Just make sure you're at least able to get the saddle on a trailer just in case.

5. MissLKcee

MissLKcee Senior Member+

Don't buy a Dale Chavez. I had one for years and absolutely hated it. Buy a Blue Ribbon without silver, you can find that for around 2k.

6. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

I think there's a difference in the older Chavez vs. the newest ones. The old ones were oddly wide between the lower thighs and between the knees, at least for me. Hated 'em. The seat was not wide, but it's like the whole saddle got hugely broad right where my knees hit. Maybe it was the rigging.

I sat in two newer ones, and I could get my legs around them correctly and I though they'd be good to ride. But that was on the saddle stand. Never tried one on a horse.

7. horsegrl96

horsegrl96 Registered

[​IMG]

this is an abetta all around saddle. I Have only rode in it 3 times but it is in super good quality!! its nice as western pleasure, poles, all tht fun stuff but it does best on trails, super comfy!!! its a 15" seat andit fit my paint really good! so im thinking is a full QH saddle. IF your intrested please email me at animal-lover96@hotmail.com because i dont get on here much. I really want to trade for barrle saddle. MAKE AN OFFER =)

thanks,
    katelynn

8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Whoa there... there's no comparison to a Dale Chavez there. That is not a show saddle of any kind. It's a nice knock around saddle, but a whole other class than a leather hard wood tree tooled show saddle with silver on it.

9. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member

I do not think that is an Abetta, there is no logo on the fenders and that model in not in any of my catalogs.

Sorry a 100.00 saddle is not in the class of the ones being discussed

Edit, that is a Weaver Brand Synthetic :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. SaddleUp158

SaddleUp158 Senior Member

We only have Dale Chavez western show saddles. My best friend has had hers for years and loves it. I used one last year that was a bit newer and found it much more comfortable than her saddle. I loved the saddle I iused. Our other horse has his own Chavez and it is extremely comfortable as well...but it is a newer one too.