Dadisms.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Jan 10, 2017.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If he knew you weren't there he wouldn't waste his time. This is what people do when they are hoping someone is there and will pick up.

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Cell phone, Manes, cell phone. :wink:
    I don't have a landline, don't know anyone my age that does.
    Once the cell goes to voicemail, you can't answer anymore.
    And my dad has never owned a traditional voicemail anyways, so he would never think of doing that.

3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

My dad/ folks seem to have the "theres room for improvement" attitude. What we thought was or may have been Good, they could add a "But".. couldve-been-better suggestion. Something perfectly good may get a pass as "OK". My horse was deemed "a nice , well-behaved animal" :rolleyez:.
    Dads big thing growing up was, any error, mistake or damage was due to "You werent being careful." If sufficient care had been taken it was adjusted to "not careful Enough."
    Soo, guess what, now that we're all adults, if he makes an error that results in mess or damage... :D "You werent being Careful!"

Dona Worry likes this.
  4. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

I am another one who's dad lies about how long something will take but in my father's case, he always would add to the work load. He is a registered land surveyor and growing up we were his helpers. He would tell us we only had one job to do and then get out there do that job and on the way back he would say, "since we are already out here, why don't we do this one too". So one job would turn into 3 or 4 and several hours. Sadly, I find myself doing that to my kids now.

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

"Stop the Madness" lol. Oh no, youre an "into the Van" victim too? :coffee:

bnttyra likes this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Lol, my dad would never think of stating the day or time!

7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

One of my dad's favorite things to say to me when I complain is "welcome to the real world." Or if I complain about work he says "work is a four letter word." Both drive me crazy lol.

Dona Worry likes this.
  8. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

It took several years before my father actually started using the telephone before driving over to my house. He kept showing up at my place when I wasn't there, I live a 45 minute drive away. Then he would drive home, and from there call and leave a disappointed sounding message. "I was there, but you weren't." ??? Perhaps, I would have been there if you had called BEFORE visiting instead of after?

9. PureTrouble

PureTrouble Senior Member

Not really a dadism, but more of a dad joke. Coworkers dad told her that she could get a guinea pig growing up...if she named him peeve..

I just about died when she told me about her pet 'peeve'. My plan is to get a flock of chickens...and name every single one Peeve

GONE ROPING, Sam C. and Dona Worry like this.
  10. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

My dad is a hoot to do chores with. We were mounting something to the wall, and he asked me to bring him the blue box of drill bits. I looked and looked and looked, and I only found a yellow one and a black one, so I bring them both and he points at the black one and goes that one! Turns out, the INSIDE of the box was blue. Doesn't everyone describe objects with something you can't see unless you open it?

GONE ROPING, manesntails and Varisha like this.