CWD or Volatire?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by sarahlianne, Jul 21, 2013.

1. sarahlianne

sarahlianne Full Member

Don't know which saddle to buy? a CWD 2Gs or the Voltaire Palm Beach model?
    Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

2. ZeusandRopa

ZeusandRopa Full Member

I have never ridden in the Palm Beach but I bought a 2G back in March after test riding two different versions of it as well as a bunch of other CWD's and oh my gos h, never before have I felt so comfortable in a saddle, or more secure! I felt like if I was to head out and jump a meter sixty course in that saddle I would be doing so successfully! I also must say I love the look of the 2g different yes, but very sleek and modern but subtle y'know? If you have the money I say invest they are definitely once in a lifetime saddles!

3. sarahlianne

sarahlianne Full Member

I have appointments with both reps to test ride them. So we shall see what happens

4. ZeusandRopa

ZeusandRopa Full Member

Keep us posted, I want to hear what you fall in love with :) Who knows maybe you'll fall in love with something simpler. I think it's Mclain Ward who rides in a SE01 CWD and does absolutely phenomenal things in it and Kyle King and Jay Duke ride in 2G's and do great things in their saddles as well so keep your mind open don't just decide now on what you want to buy make sure you try everything! It's a lot of money to spend so make it worth it!

1 person likes this.
  5. sarahlianne

sarahlianne Full Member

I've tried a lot of different saddles, from dovers circuit brand to antares. I've also ridden in other older CWD's. I've just found out of all the saddles I've liked CWD and have heard great things about Voltaire. I've been researching a good saddle for about a year now and narrowed it down to those two :p

6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I would never, ever spend $6000+ on a saddle to get a fancy piece of carbon fiber and a "polymer tree."

If you want a 2G, buy one used, they don't hold their value at all so you can save $2000+.

1 person likes this.
  7. CareTaker

CareTaker Senior Member

Both CWDs and Voltaires are available on Ebay, usually from reputable dealers. You did the research, now you can do the fun part - shopping!

8. Secret Meadows

Secret Meadows Full Member

My only experience with Voltaire is just from trying a couple horses that presented in them and I was not impressed. I own a CWD...the rep did not fit me correctly so I don't use it anymore, but they are good saddles and it fits my horse well. Very durable, but did take a long time to break in. From my experience with the two I'd go with a CWD. I personally do not see what makes the G2 so special that it costs so much more than most of the other models. As kb1gra said, they do not hold their value whatsoever. When I tried to sell my CWD back to CWD they only considered its age and give no credit to its condition. I'd definitely try everything that the CWD rep has and decide once you've tried every option you have.
    Happy saddle shopping!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  9. HPCEquine

HPCEquine Full Member

I have never ridden in a Voltaire, though it's on my to-do list. I actually had the fortune of traveling back to New Jersey and working with an FEI trainer who allowed me to ride in one of her CWD's. It was by far, the most amazing saddle I have sat in - I have tried many brands including the beloved Antares, but this saddle blew everything else out of the water. As this saddle was used and well broke in, I cannot speak on how it does breaking in and I cannot say how durable/long-lasting they are, but it gave me the best seat positioning (I'm very long-legged.) I'm in the market for a new jumping saddled, and so far, the CWD is my preference, but like I said, I still want to try Voltaire. At any rate, the saddle has to fit your horse, and it has to work for you also, and everyone is different. You'll just have to try them out and decide for yourself! :)

10. Abberlaze

Abberlaze Senior Member

CWD has a much better reputation in my area. I don't actually know anyone who rides in a Voltaire.

County is my luxury saddle of choice :). The rep in our area does a fantastic job of fitting riders and the buffalo saddles wear amazingly.