Cutting Ice off the Pond!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Jan 9, 2017.

1. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Very cool.
    I love seeing things like that!
    This exactly.
    The sect nearest me can use modern tools, ride in cars and use cell phones etc. they just can't own them personally.

Mennonite are a whole other thing really.
    I am just a few miles from a large Mennonite group (closer to 60 miles from the nearest amish) and they have electricity and many other modern conveniences they just limit them.

We had two Mennonite members here that used to be very active.
    If you look up Blondehorse and goonhorse and look through their old threads they had a lot of good info for people interested in learning more about Mennonite.

mooselady likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't understand what you meant by that. That they have so many different sects and all have different rules, maybe?

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

There's a group of Mennonite who come down to run the Horse and Carriage auction I go to in Georgia. Mennonite all come in in vans and they do all the work in the office on the computer, while the Amish men do all the grunt work: handle the horses in the auction, the equipment in the farm implement auction, and the carriages and buggies in that auction. The Amish men do what they're allowed to do and the Mennonites do the rest.

4. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Mennonites are a break-off group of the Amish who do use technology. Amish can't drive but Mennonites can and Mennonites do use electricity. Their religious beliefs are similar though.

manesntails likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Mennonites are not a break-off group from the Amish. Amish are not a break-off group from Mennonite. Both Amish and Mennonite have stricter and less strict subgroups, but in general, Mennonites are more 'in the world'.

The Amish and Mennonite sects were founded by different people, Mennonites being the older group, so it is often assumed that Jakob Amman branched off from Mennonite group, but he did not.

I did have to look up the dates, but had studied before how the groups came into being.

Jakob Amman did form his group later, but both groups were quite separate and incompatible from the start. They had different beliefs. In fact, even early attempts to unite them failed. Amman was never a Mennonite, and Simons was never an Amish.

There was, before either group, a group with medieval origins (or some say even earlier), who did not believe in infant baptism. They were called Anabaptists. The Roman Catholic church did not approve of such beliefs. Hard for us to imagine today, but many different Christian groups were in fierce combat with each other then. Shooting at each other, imprisoning and torturing each other, executing each other. For example I visited a church in France with bullet holes still in the walls from the 1700s(the church declared that the different religious groups had to share the church so...they shot each other...). Many French towns still have little rusty signs on the main road declaring their religious affiliation.

Menno Simons was a Roman Catholic priest who became an Anabaptist around 1536 when he rejected the Catholic church(the group then organizing after that date).

Jakob Amman founded the Amish group, again, from being a Roman Catholic, not a Mennonite, more than a hundred years later. Jakob's father was an Anabaptist before him. The first time Amman was referred to as an Anabaptist was in 1680(had to look up that date). Church officials did not approve and wanted to determine how to deal with him.

I'd say that both were separate branches that originated from Anabaptism, Simons in Friesland and Amman from Switzerland(and later on in life, Alsace, I think).

Amman's group actually split off from the Swiss Brethren, an Anabaptist group. So, Amman became a Swiss Brethren, and then founded Amish sect due to a split between him and Jakob Reist - they were both Swiss Brethren.

I think most researchers would say that Amman had a much more rigid moral/daily code in mind and was unbending in those standards. He much more emphasized living a life separate from the world. Menno Simons on the other hand was actually involved in combat, to take over various jurisdictions. So more in the world.

So the groups were quite different from the start. The differences of the original groups are still shown today. Both groups have been consistent and loyal to their origins for hundreds of years.

6. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

I don't know if there are any Amish in Arizona, or at least the Phoenix area. They make great harnesses though! ;)
    We do have Mennonite. In fact, about half my neighborhood is Mennonite, and their church is behind my property (one of several... my little neighborhood has 5 churches in it). Very nice people from the interactions I've had with them.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

And you googled, read and re-wrote it.

See, this is what annoys the crap outta people. Just post the link instead of re-writing it to make it APPEAR as if you know all about it. It's pretensious and pretension is never attractive.

The two religions are CLOSELY related.

equicrzy likes this.
  8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Oh, cmon. You know slc wrote the internet and all of google :rolleyes:

NBChoice, manesntails and CheyAut like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

There are other sources of information, like books, and people. I don't think there's much accurate information about the Amish and Mennonites online.

But you can't change the fact that the Mennonites came first. It would have been pretty hard for them to branch off from the Amish since the Amish didn't even exist when the Mennonites formed up.

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Yep - I mis-spoke. Too early without coffee. :) I knew it was Mennonites who came first and Amish branched off from them. They both have very similar beliefs (Anabaptist) but differ in some of their practices.

manesntails likes this.