Cutting Ice off the Pond!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Jan 9, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I visited an Amish woodworker today to drop off some materials.

And got to see a wonderful thing. Three families had gotten together to cut the 5-6" thick ice off a pond on their property. They had a gas motor powering a chain saw to cut the ice.

They've built a wonderful ice house with 16" insulation on the ceiling, floor and walls. Everyone was helping to cut the ice and stock the ice house. It was 1/3 full when I stopped by, and can hold many tons of ice. He said 2000 tons of ice, I think. Each small perfectly square block they cut weighed about 20 lbs. There was a downhill slant from the top of the pond to ice house so they had built a sluice of wood and scraps of metal siding. The kids would fling these 20 lb ice squares onto the sluice and the squares then slide at high speed, with much banging, to the ice house, around a curve and into the ice house.

They will work through most of the night to cut ice before the big thaw tomorrow.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

What the heck will you do with huge blocks of ice? Call me..clueless in Kansas.

3. all4him

all4him Senior Member

They are Amish so no power = no refrigerators (although most do use propane refrigerators). :)

Alsosusieq2 and Friesiangirl like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Wow, I didn't know that. No electricity. Now that would be different. I coulda not watch my DVDs lol.

Edited added - I know nothing about them. I think I'd heard they don't use buttons, but I've no idea how they wear clothing. Man, that is a different world.

5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

All I can think of is the opening scene from Frozen where they are cutting blocks of ice to sell them while singing merrily. :LOL:

endurgirl, mooselady, Sam C. and 2 others like this.
  6. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Yep - No buttons so they use straight pins instead. Some of their choices don't make much sense (note they were using chainsaws to cut the ice?) but that's the way they choose to live so....

Circle C and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Straight pins? Not even safety pins? Yikes. I kind of figured some sort of ties. I don't live near any and have only stood by a lady at the airport once. I remember feeling uncomfortable in my heels and makeup compared to her demeanor.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Chain saws and separate gas motors, battery operated items are allowed in some sects.

Many groups allow the use of solar panels, for example, but not actually plugging into the power grid. Some things are allowed for work, but not in the home.

There are many different Amish sects.

Some of them are very strict and some have less strict rules.

Each sect is different in what they allow/don't allow.

Many groups use snaps and zippers. Some use belts, others only allow suspenders. Some use only one suspender, others allow two.

The problem with buttons is they are used on military uniforms. They don't use anything that is used in the military. For example, no mustaches(hundreds of years ago when the Amish sects formed, military people commonly wore mustaches)..

Other life rules are even more complex. For example, many sects forbid members from buying insurance, lottery tickets, financial investments, and so on.

Many of the groups frown on the open expression of grief. To grieve dramatically is to question the will of God. So usually, the reaction to death is matter-of-fact and simple. Pride, bragging, setting oneself apart as the 'boss' or 'manager', all may be frowned upon.

But it might be alright to have a high-stepping Dutch Harness Horse, and a harness decorated with white plastic rings...LOL.

In general, the Amish rules aren't going to ''make sense'' to outsiders. I think that picking the rules they live by apart, misses the point.

sorrell and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

I can't make sense of Amish or Mennonite. We have both groups in my area and depending on the Parish, vary widely. In some towns I will see the young girls shopping at Shopper's Drug mart (our big block pharmacy store in Canada) and Walmart wearing pretty floral patterns on their dresses, families driving cars and running stores with websites. one of our best local tack shops is run by a liberal Mennonite family. There is definitely a partriach society expressed but the men they are extremely business savvy and well loved by the horse community here. In other areas there is a lot more fundamentalism and basic living. Women aren't allowed to wear colours or ribbons in their hair. Their driving horses don't even have white markings and are never anything but bay or black, usually off track Standardbreds as opposed to dhh or even *gasp* a flashy grey with some of the other groups. One of my friends is from a Mexican Amish family and they are quite forward thinking. hiring outside consultation for their groups wellfaire, for instance a specific dietician to help with the sects dietary needs. My girlfriend who came from a local Amish family says the sects are quite political. Members of a sect may branch off and form their own church over a dispute about something relatively minor and so there are so many with so many different rules all set as what they feel is right.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

I was surprised when a logging group came through the quality lab taking a tour of our chainsaw chain and manufacturing facility. I do a spiel about all the things the lab does for tours when they come through. The group was made up of mainly Amish men, many wearing hats and suspenders. They looked at some of our equipment, and one young man in suspenders and blue trousers said "that looks very old" and I replied on the fly, "it works more reliably and measures more accurately than all of its modern counterparts in this entire building" to which all his other group members nodded in satisfaction. It surprised me to see the group, which are usually made up of European travellers or sales representatives from the US but they had good questions about our equipment and how we measured and expressed a lot of understanding of the technology to manufacture.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.