Cutting a horses tail nerves?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by emali06, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Anyone care to elaborate on this? What is involved? What are the risks? Can the horse swish his tail normally for flies?

This is for a horse that swishes his tail when touched with a spur or asked to move forward.

*******NOT MY HORSE********

I personally would NEVER do this.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

People don't do that any longer. It creates a limp tail. It depends on how much of the tail muscle, not the nerve, is cut. They cut straight across the underside of the tail.

mooselady likes this.
  3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

yes, I believe it is still done by some, in addition to blocking.

Since weighted tails are allowed, I think the practice has decreased some, but it still happens. I see ones at shows that have been done.

4. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

I didn't think it was legal for showing. Most just use weighted tails.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

No, cannot swish tail normally. Risks are infection as often are not done by vets (I am not sure that vets legally can do this operation, I think it might be against the law in most states).

6. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

I've never heard of this. Is this actually a procedure in which the nerves are cut so that the horse can't move its tail? Is it different than cutting ligaments in the tail (like is done for some Saddlebreds and harness ponies?).

Aaaaaand this is why my old mare will never, ever, perform in equitation classes... :rolleyes: Good thing she's pretty enough to be a Pleasure horse....

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Yes, it is illegal. However, I don't think it is tested much. I have never seen them testing tails at any of our state QH shows. I think I heard they test at the world show?

I'm not sure what is cut, but I believe it does come back... just takes longer than the old blocking procedure.

in additional to keeping tails quiet, it is also to lay the tail down to present a prettier, more "collected" overall look (for stock type horses).

I know of a vet in a neighboring state that blocked them for a lot of people in the 90's and early 2000's... .no idea if he still does, and I know of a few trainers that do the blocking, and one trainer that does the cutting procedure.

April carries her tail up a bit and likes to use it, so I have 1.5lb of hair and set my tail extension up so I can add weights if needed.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

This is not the surgery that's done to allow the tail to be set or shaped for gaited classes.

This is actually severing the muscles so that the horse cannot swish or in some cases lift its tail at all.

9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

NRHA it is legal to alter a tail.
    Besides a dead tail it also can end up crooked. I have a photo of one that had that. Let me see if I can find it.

Also worked on another horse that a previous trainer did and that horse was in major pain in the back end and had a huge bump on her tail. She couldn't show at World, too big of a risk, she was good enough to win. I did get it to where she could lift the tail half way to pee.

Years ago I had a trainer try to get me to fix my horse's tail, I refused and we just bought a bigger tail, weights weren't allowed yet. Now actually she moves her tail less on her own. I think it was an ulcer issue is why she did it. See it with another friend's horse that does the same thing with her tail and obviously has ulcers. She has every single sign of it.

Here's the reining horse's tail. See how it is curly and stuck to one side?

IMG_8972Tailjob.jpg

And then another's friend's horse with a really dead tail. The horse goes crazy with the flies because she can swat them. My friend has owned the horse for like five years and the horse hasn't had any feeling come back.

Jumping

CoPtHA150208 Show - Richard Gill (gillallenphoto)

Rail work

CoPtHA150208 Show - Richard Gill (gillallenphoto)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Alpha App and Varisha like this.
  10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I'm told that it is a temporary noninvasive procedure that a lot of showhorses have done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.