Curved Roach? How To?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by alwaysacolt, Sep 20, 2018.

1. alwaysacolt

alwaysacolt Full Member

Beau has been sporting a roach for quite a while. I quite like him in it. I've seen a few types of roaches. I'd like to know the best way or some tips to approach "curving" his roach.

20180902_143324.jpg

2. alwaysacolt

alwaysacolt Full Member

Sorry for the shoddy picture it was honestly the only one that would upload :/

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Can you explain what you want, I'm not familiar with the term curved roach?

4. CupcakeCoquette

CupcakeCoquette Senior Member

I'm guessing it means the roaching is shorter/closer to the neck near the head and withers, and longer in the center so it forms an arch, like the traditional Fjord horse cut? I used to eyeball that on my old barn's Fjord, but I don't necessarily recommend it. Sometimes I made a complete mess of it. @.@ (Mind you, I was also using household scissors while I eyeballed it. so... ^^; ) At least my trainer's point of view was usually, "It's okay, if you REALLY screw it up, we'll just shave it off completely," lol.

(Granted that's a cut, not really a roach, but it was the first thing that came to mind!)

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Just do it. It will grow back and if you screw it up, you can shave it short and then it will grow back.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. alwaysacolt

alwaysacolt Full Member

Haha
    Thanks ya'll

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

I have a Fjord.

Lots and lots of practice, a couple of "oops, how fast will that grow out",and a patient horse is needed.

Basically, think of it as an arch, with the highest point at the center of the neck arch. Ours has moved a few inches over the years as her neck muscling improved. Cut your longest spot first, and then work in from the encs.

Pause frequently, take pictures, and reassess..... it's fun, but, it also takes about an hour every month to maintain. Sometimes I think of just letting it grow out and having a hairy Fjord.... nah........

alwaysacolt likes this.