Curious now about mushrooms

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Misty H, Sep 14, 2018.

  1. Misty H

    Misty H Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2017
    Messages:
    391
    Likes Received:
    410
    Ok, I don’t know if there is anyone else in Central Florida or in other areas that have this issue but could use some advice or direction so to speak. Right now we are in hurricane season and for Florida that means ton and tons of rain. Now along with this rain we get a ton of mushrooms that grow. Main two different looking ones. One of them is white with big round bulbs on the top. The other is a pinkish red kinda color and grows low to the ground but big. They grow everywhere. You can go outside and kick them away, remove them whatever and the next day they are back. They never go away this time of year. Now that Souvie has heaves I am questioning these mushrooms. For the most part he don’t seem to mess with them at all. However, random times he seems to grab one and will place it on top of a fence post and just leave it there. He don’t bite it or chew on it other then remove it from the ground. Is my horse telling me something??? Could these mushrooms possibly be causing his heaves?? They seem to have started hand in hand. If this may be the case how in the hell do I get rid of an entire 5 acres of random growing mushrooms? Oh and also the pinkish ones boy do they have a dead animal smell to them when they die. But it’s not those he is grabbing. It’s the white ones. Does anyone else have this issue and what would you do? Would you possibly associate the two go hand in hand? I have racked my brain to no end trying to figure my poor old boy out and am driving myself crazy. Someone sit me down and just slap me already!!!!
     
  2. slc

    slc Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    Messages:
    24,049
    Likes Received:
    14,564
    I don't think allergies and respiratory distress are chiefly caused by mushrooms. I think the main trouble is the pollen from trees and green plants which gets released into the air.
     
    Misty H likes this.
  3. ginster

    ginster Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2012
    Messages:
    6,174
    Likes Received:
    7,826
    Are there allergy tests for horses? I would check with your vet for a quote.
    I agree with @slc that pollen and dust are the more likely culprits.
    Mushroom/fungi allergies are not common in humans, I would imagine them to even less likely in horses.
    Not sure why he is putting them up. Horse brains just don't work like ours.Maybe that is what he does when he accidentily bites into one while grazi ng. Doesn't like the taste and flings it away. Or have you seen him put it there?
     
  4. Misty H

    Misty H Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2017
    Messages:
    391
    Likes Received:
    410
    No I have watched him walk over and place it on top of one of the round fence post his gate is mounted to. It’s not that even big of a post but he will set it right on top of it
     
    ginster likes this.
  5. slc

    slc Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    Messages:
    24,049
    Likes Received:
    14,564
    We had the full panel of allergy tests done - about $500. My horse was allergic to 'everything,' LOL.
     
    ginster likes this.
  6. Misty H

    Misty H Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2017
    Messages:
    391
    Likes Received:
    410
    Ugh bet that was fun. I don’t even want to take a guess with souvie. Although he has been good till now. I know he isn’t able to have sweet feed at all though.
     
  7. doublelranch

    doublelranch Senior Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2014
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    2,901
    I don't think that the mushrooms are causing his COPD, but I think the shrooms are a telling factor of what is in your soil. Moist conditions are favorable for growing them, but it also means there could be mold in the ground.....or he still hasn't cleared his lungs from the mold he inhaled from the bad hay. Sometimes this can take a really long time. Did you burn the bad hay to get rid of the mold? Probably hard to do with all the rain. Do you have any farming ground nearby? My COPD horse reacts to the spraying of herbicide/insecticide from neighboring farms.

    Some COPD horses just can't comfortably live in their current environment. If you can't pinpoint the cause of it and remove it completely from his environment, he may need a different home where he can live comfortably. If this isn't possible, and you can't safely maintain his airway, then in all fairness to him you might think about letting him go. I would still talk to your vet about alternative meds. I'm even getting nervous over his dex meds. Maybe do the allergy test too and see if it is something that can be removed from his environment.
     
    Misty H, BluemoonOKy and ginster like this.
  8. manesntails

    manesntails Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2010
    Messages:
    37,799
    Likes Received:
    72,227
    Those are not bothering the horse. The spores have been in the ground forever. Stop kicking them~!! You spread the spores. The spores are not going airborne, as soon as they hit the ground they stay there.

    Nothing to do with giving horses heaves. That comes from horses having genes that give them lungs that are prone to developing heaves from breathing dust. Some horses can be in dusty conditions and never get heaves. I've lived all over Fl from Ft. Lauderdale to now the panhandle and all in between. No issues from mushrooms.
     
    Misty H likes this.
  9. Misty H

    Misty H Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2017
    Messages:
    391
    Likes Received:
    410
    The hay was burned awhile ago far from where he was. We don’t have any farming fields that close to us. The closest ones are about 8-10 miles up the road. Nothing back by us. And off to the side of the wilderness park is actually the suncoast which is an interstate. We are around nothing but woods. The mosquito truck comes by here maybe once every 4 months and he goes by so fast it’s really pointless he even comes out here when it’s nothing but woods and standing water. It’s very wet lands out here we are low laying so when it rains everything gets covered in water. My property don’t flood like most others. He has been here a year and didn’t have issues till recently. So I don’t think it’s something that stays in the area, vet still thinks it is seasonal and wants to wait till after the summer climate to see how he does.
     
  10. Alsosusieq2

    Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2016
    Messages:
    15,009
    Likes Received:
    11,146
    I don't think this has anything to do with his situation. Take them in to your local at though to get identified. Lot's of water contributing to mildew and mold isn't helping I'd imagine though.
     

Share This Page