Crowhopping while loping bareback?!!???

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by WesternRider22, Jun 26, 2018.

1. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

This was my first time loping my gelding bareback and and we both didn't do well.
    He was fine trotting around bareback but when I asked him to lope he did for a couple seconds then went into a crow hopping fit. I couldn't do much bareback so I just tried to woah him. I know everyone will say I shouldn't have done that but it was pretty hard for me to do anything else when I was trying to hang on... So he woahed and I tried to lope him again but he just started Crowhopping as soon as he started to gallop. Then I saddled him so if he crowhopped again I could stay on and correct the issue, but he didn't at all. He was a perfect gentleman! Maybe he just doesn't like the feeling of me bouncing on his back?????
    What should I do to solve this issue?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I need to see what you are doing. If you are bouncing, or getting into his mouth, or he has a sore back, all are reasons, and just a few reasons, why a horse would stop going and protest: Crowhop.

GONE ROPING, ibsammy, meljean and 2 others like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Definitely need to see a video to say much of anything. I'd not ride him bareback and do not let him get his head down. That doesn't mean hang on his mouth. If he does it again, trot or spin him in circles..anything to keep him moving till you decide to stop. Stopping just rewards him.

How long have you been working with him? Interesting question here..why were you riding bareback?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

You shouldn't be bouncing against his back at a lope. He's probably telling you to knock it off, it's uncomfortable. Don't lope this horse bareback until you can properly sit a lope in a saddle.

5. meljean

meljean Senior Member

In his mouth, hitting sides with legs, being aggravating bouncing around, all are reasons to do this.

Video.

And it's whoa.

6. WesternRider22

I had his reins loose and I'm pretty sure I wasn't bouncing. I can usually sit all of my horses gallop bareback without bouncing

7. WesternRider22

How do you know I was bouncing on him?

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Whatever happened was uncomfortable for him. Horses only have resistance to communicate to you with. When they fuss like that, it means something. I would just ride saddled. The saddle distributes your weight evenly over his entire back, which is why the saddle, if it fits nicely, is more comfortable than bareback is, for the horse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Could be too that he's never been ridden bareback. The first time I got on Bella bareback, you would have thought I was killing her. I never thought much of it - I've always hopped on bareback. But she was a nervous wreck until we'd ridden around a bit and she'd gotten used to it.

Bareback doesn't distribute your weight like a saddle does so it may just be that it felt really strange and therefore uncomfortable to him. But really it's impossible to say for sure without seeing what was going on.

10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

My unpopular opinion is that too much bareback riding is uncomfortable to a horse that isn't used to it (and even if they are). Easy answer, don't lope bareback.

ginster, ibsammy, Alsosusieq2 and 2 others like this.