Critique this saddle fit please! Amerigo CC

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by LifeIsGrand, Feb 10, 2015.

1. LifeIsGrand

LifeIsGrand Senior Member

FINALLY! I was able to try an Amerigo which supposedly caters to my horse's style of back.
    Not 100% sold yet. That is for sure.

I am not crazy how the panels scoop off my horse's back. I am hoping that they lay nicer when I can try a MW on him. I did FEEL better in this saddle. I did not feel like I was fighting for my position like I do in my CWD (it pushes my booty back and legs forward)

She was talking about how the panels do not bother her so much because when the horse moves and works, it gives room for the back to come up... except when I see panels scoop up like this, it causes the back of the saddle to rise up and down off the horse's back... i dont know.. I was thinking that if this tree works for my horse that I could play with the panels with my saddle fitter.

She recommends a MW and I definitely need a longer flap for my monstrously long thighs (in comparison with my height). So hopefully I can find one on trial and have my saddle fitter come out and take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cant say how well he went in it... couldnt ride long enough to tell. All I know is that I felt a little better in it.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Am I correct in assuming the above saddle is a Medium & they are suggested you get a MW?

3. LifeIsGrand

Exactly. :)

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

The whole saddle is too narrow & it's sitting perched up on top of his back. So moving up to the larger size, you're going to see the entire saddle sit down around him more. So you'll see far far less of that back sticking up.

Now that said......do a belly lift on your horse in a saddle with the curvier rear panels. Just do it at a halt, or have a friend do it & you stand back & watch. The horse WILL fill up the rear of the panels more. You don't want the panels to sit 100% flat on the horses back at a stand still, as that means they will not fit correctly when they are actively moving.

Another thing to point out - yes this saddle is too small for your horse, but see how the panels aren't "sticking up as much" with your weight in the saddle? That has to be taken into account as well when you're fitting. You don't want a saddle that fits perfectly at a stand still with no one in it - as that doesn't always translate to perfect fit in motion :wink:

I'm glad you felt good in the way it sat you! Hopefully you can find one that is a closer fit for your boy & you to trial for a bit :D

9 people like this.
  5. LifeIsGrand

Thanks! It makes sense! What about saddles that appear to pop on and off the back of the horse at the posting trot!
    As soon as I get the MW version I will post pics. I hope they can find one with longer flaps but if not, and if it works out, I can put on longer ones. As you can see these flaps are way short ! Lol

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ if a saddle pops up & down as the horse moves, then it does not fit. I doubt even this saddle is to that point.......or did you feel that while you were riding?

7. LifeIsGrand

I didn't feel it, but I've seen saddles that curve up like a banana off the horses back and when a rider posts - it goes on and off a horses back.

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

then those are saddles that do not fit & have more wrong with them than what we can see in this saddle.

2 people like this.
  9. LifeIsGrand

Can't wait to try the MW!!

10. stephanie

stephanie Senior Member

I'm so glad you found one to try. I love mine (different style though). I also have long/forward flaps on mine. It helps a lot and Mica loves it.

Good luck finding another one to try:)