Critique potential OTTB purchase

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by JustHorsePlay, Apr 17, 2017.

1. JustHorsePlay

JustHorsePlay Senior Member

Hello saw this little girl and will be checking her out Thursday. I'd like confo critique. I like the look of her but I am still pretty amateur at really seeing the conformation. It seems like there are no glaring faults. :)
    upload_2017-4-17_11-57-32.png
    Hopefully the picture works.
    upload_2017-4-17_11-58-14.png

I'd like to use her as a local show hunter/jumper. Maybe local dressage? More just small show all-around horse. :) If she has potential it would be cool to bring her up the levels, but she will most likely be a resale project. She mostly just for fun and experience, since I have kind of maxed out of the horse I have now.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I'm no conformation expert but she looks kind of post legged behind and in that second pic she looks like she's hurting. Sweet expression though. I'd be sure to get a PPE if you move forward.

Faster Horses and mooselady like this.
  3. JustHorsePlay

4. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I really like the uphill build on her. Girl's got substance.

5. JustHorsePlay

Hmmm... I do kind of see the post legged. I don't really see hurting in the second picture. She looks like she's standing awkwardly, but that may indicate pain... ? :)

6. JustHorsePlay

Here's a video as well. Thoughts? It is when she fist was ridden off the track.

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I could be totally wrong. It's happened. :p She just looks kind of "tucked under" in her hind end, like she's stiff in her hips or sacrum. And she kind of looks like she's short-stepping in the back in the video. She looks stiff on the right side to me. Not horrible by any means- I'd just have her checked.

JustHorsePlay and mooselady like this.
  8. JustHorsePlay

Yes I noticed the shortened steps as well. No limp or anything, just quick strides. I thought it may be because she's just got off the track and may be tense? But yes I'm definitely doing a PPE. :)

9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

She has a nice shoulder, very straight behind (my gelding is built like this in back and I have to remind him to get up under himself instead of camped out) and I'm not crazy about her croup...but, most ottbs have si tightness. I think she will be fine for what you want once she gets to stretch out. I would really encourage her to stretch her topline and relax. I don't see anything in the video that really bothers me. She just needs to learn to move better and I'd like to see her with a rider up who could set the rhythm and put her together better. I think she will definitely be dressage suitable and it will be really good for her.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I get the same feeling as @bellalou, she looks tight....not a fan of her trot, looks very short and choppy, but the trot can always be improved.

RG NIGHT HEIR and JustHorsePlay like this.