Critique Penny! 6yo AQHA Mare

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by QHriderKE, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Penny is lovely. Certainly an easy keeper, but that’s not a bad thing. :p She’s not a horse that would be svelte even if she didn’t have a little extra padding.

She’s back at the knee and her hocks seem a little high to me. I can’t decide what I think about how they’re set. Neck is a little short and shoulder might be straight.

She’s a lovely girl, though, and the over all picture is nice and balanced. And she does her job well. That’s what’s important. :)

2. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Love this mare. Looks like a good foundation or cow horse bred type. What's her job? I bet she's good at it!

3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

She does look like she might be a bit metabolic with what appears to be lack of hollows above her eyes and a very slight crest in her neck. I would just watch that it doesn't get worse.

She looks to be a nice looking mare.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Excuse my ignorance because I have never heard of this, but LACK of hollows is a sign of disease/illness? Genuinely curious, I've met many horses over the years with no hollows and I guess I never thought about it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Supraorbital fat deposits (ie lack of hollows) can indicate metabolic disorders or PPID, usually in more advanced cases. It is normal, however, for young horses to have minimal hollows. The issue arises when the hollows become more filled with age and/or start to actually protrude secondary to fat deposits. My mare has borderline protruding hollows and has PPID.
    20180729_153620-2.jpg

Your mare looks lovely to me :)

6. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

She's got the hollows though... i dont think she has those fat deposits.... I think the case is that 20171014_134422.jpg her super short neck is throwing you off, even rode down a bit it looks incredibly short and fat
    20180708_113701.jpg 20180723_190444.jpg
    20171014_134422.jpg
    20180504_181506.jpg

Arem likes this.
  7. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

QHrider, I am curious what you wanted the critique for?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

That's why I said appears to be. Previous photos are hard to tell. Foxy never really had hollows, but did notice after reading about IR symptoms that his changed from lack of hollows to puffy when he atrophied last year.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Tim Tam

Tim Tam Registered

Build-wise she is a very nice a sturdy ranch-type horse. You could critique that her butt is maybe a little high, neck a little short, and over at the knee though. But that is all just being picky. Most of the conformation critiques come from ideals based in dressage and jumping too, so that's important to keep in mind. A general riding, western, or ranch horse isn't going to need a long arching neck or a super uphill build.

I wouldn't say she needs to lose weight, I'd say she needs some of that fat changed to muscle. So more like she needs toning.

She does not look underrun in the hind feet. Lots of people will think that because so many farriers leave way too much heel. In one of the pictures her fronts look a bit underrun, but it's hard to tell. She does not have ridiculously tiny feet by AQHA standards. People need to keep in mind that she is not a big warmblood with lots of draft blood in her.

10. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

wow! I really think she is a nice looking horse. She looks Huge (height, not weight)!!! how tall is she?
    I agree with the back at the knee a wee bit, and she does have the appearance in the first picture that she might be heavy on the front. How does she move out? Is her trot super bounce or anything? Im just curious, because I know pictures can be deceiving in terms of movement. I would love to see a picture of her moving though, I adore her!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.